Re Ringing your pistions

Just curious who does this and how often. I last did my top end 3 years ago and the compression is great still. I always hear dirt bike ridders talking about re ringing. Ive never had a dirt bike so im not sure if this is just commen with them. Rarely do I hear banshee riders talk about just throwning new rings on and going. So my question is does enyone here just re ring there pistions. If so how often and why?

im sure you gotta do a light hone but you should be able to rering it. im sure someone else who knows for a fact will chime in

I had to get a new top end.....bought some stock bore cylinders and they came with the wiseco pistons. Just honed them and threw some new rings on... Runs Great!!!!!!!! I could't believe the price just for the rings. It was like 30 bucks a side.

On the other side i herd replacing the top end every 25 hrs of racing????? True or not idk????

Edited by 2strokesmoker

Just curious who does this and how often. I last did my top end 3 years ago and the compression is great still. I always hear dirt bike ridders talking about re ringing. Ive never had a dirt bike so im not sure if this is just commen with them. Rarely do I hear banshee riders talk about just throwning new rings on and going. So my question is does enyone here just re ring there pistions. If so how often and why?

I bought a complete motor off ebay a few years ago, and someone had tried to port the cylinders with a straight bit, so they were junk. Well, i yanked them off and bought a set of cylinders and had Redline port them. He bored them .030 over to the size of the pistons I had and re-ringed them. Has run pretty good thus far and saved me $100.

normally, I'd just stuff new pistons in though.....but times are tough.

In my opinion, replace the pistons/rings every season. It can depend on how extreme your port job is as well. I have a guy that will port them extreme enough that you need to replace the piston after one 1/4 mile run.

With that said, i just tore down my '03 for the first time and its pistons and cylinders were in great condition.