HJR 421 Cub Setup

Was running a set of HJR ported stockers last year, with all the goodies to go along with it... gearing was 14/41 (or whatever stock is) and it was very nice...

Now it gets tricky.

Got a 421 Cub, Kevin ported it, cleaned up the ports, raised them a little, did some mad scientist work for my build so to speak. Anyways, will be running that along with a duneable 1-5 overide.

So in order to get the gearing somewhat close to where I liked it before, in terms of how wide the gears were...

Where do I start?

16/41, 16/40, etc. I am leaning towards a 16 tooth in the front... but not sure if I should change the rear.

All advice is appreciated... the main concern here is to get the gear WIDTH as close to possible to what I was running with the 1-6 stock tranny...

So, are you wanting to gear it so that 1st on the override is similar to 2nd on a stock transmission?

I would have to say, in a nutshell, that is what I mean... more so along the lines of maybe getting 2nd gear to be what my 3rd was before, or the old 2nd gear screaming....

Gotta make the 2nd gear a good one hear...

I need it to climb hills in 2nd gear... I don't think 1st is what I want lol

Need the power, but can't widen it too much so it won't bog, if you guys know what I mean.

Basically, need 2nd gear to pull and never stop pulling, and be a good width if you know what I mean.

I think the cub will be able to pull the 16 tooth rather easily.

Most likely will start there, and maybe play with the rear as time goes on...

17 might be a stretch depending on your weight and tire size/type.

I run 16/44 or 16/45 but that's to launch in second in 300 feet, my 10 mil also has a little more lungs than a 4.

I would try 16/41 and start there. If it just blows through 1st gear, go up to a 17/42...

You got a cub now, it'll run...but it won't have quite the same bottom end as a stocker done right, IMO.

Dunable override was a smart choice, that'll help keep it on the pipe.

Damn you guys run low gearing. I'm running 13/42 and love it on my 421 cub. I guess I'll have to try a 14 this summer and see how it does. Everything I've been reading lately has pointed me to gearing it a little lower, but I like the snap that the 13 gives me.

iv kinda got the same setup. ive ran 17-39 not my cup of tea. now i run 15/40. which is good for where i ride. went to little sahara last weekend and i needed different gearing. so when i go there since the hills are way steeper than dumont im going to need 15/42or43 probably. best thing to do is try them all and see what works for you and when you find it sell the ones you will not use anymore. i mean this could get figured out in 1 dya of riding.

Good post.

I wouldn't sell the other sprockets though, you'll get pennies on the dollar for what you paid for them, plus, one area might need gearing that another doesn't.

Not to mention...you smack a rock, it breaks/bends your sprocket, a spare can save the day.

Well I had it on there with my stocker ported cylinders and loved it, it launches in 2nd great, 3rd hits really hard, rarely get out of 5th gear. That's why I was wondering why so many people run such big front sprockets. I'm gonna try stock gearing when I get a new chain and see how I like it. I'm hopin it'll keep the front end from comin up some and spread the gears out a little bit.