General consensus?

Barnett is one of the best if not the best. They are pretty expensive though. Maybe go with Hinson. Hinson is very good as well. :thumbsup:

And I agree with snop.....you get what you pay for and clutch parts shouldn't be taken lightly when it comes to quality.

I have had fairly good look with the barnett kevlar setups. I have seen one break the fibers, but for the most part they hold up fairly well. Some other key points are maintenance and a quality trans oil that help a clutch hold up well.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnett is one of the best if not the best. They are pretty expensive though. Maybe go with Hinson. Hinson is very good as well. :thumbsup:

And I agree with snop.....you get what you pay for and clutch parts shouldn't be taken lightly when it comes to quality.

Now I disagree.. Barnett clutches are expensive.. but.. IMO the fibers glaze easily and the springs loose tension rather fast. So you dont always get what you pay for. I do like the steels though.

Now I disagree.. Barnett clutches are expensive.. but.. IMO the fibers glaze easily and the springs loose tension rather fast. So you dont always get what you pay for. I do like the steels though.

I feel that away about the standard clutch, but not the kevlar models.

^^^^I stand corrected. The only reviews on Barnett, that I have heard, were put on 400's and 450's. One of my friends had a Barnett clutch in his Z400 and it went out on him within 20 hours due to faulty fibers but he called up Barnett and they replaced it for him free of charge. I'm not sure how he managed to do that nor am I familiar with Barnetts warranty but he said the customer service was excellent. And Barnett doesn't just specialize in making clutches for quad's and bikes. They make them for alot of vehicles. And I have never heard of Barnett clutches glazing nor have I heard of the springs losing tension fast. But thats just me.

But anyways as for faulty parts go, not all products are made exactly perfect every time. There has to be a black sheep in the line of products somewhere and it matters who will get the bad one and who won't. Just because you have seen one go bad doesn't mean that they all do. I mean, I've snapped a brand new durablue axel with less than 10 hours of riding and I could see the impurity in the steel at the break. They replaced it and I never had a problem since.

And I am not calling anyone out or pointing fingers at anyone.

Here is one of many examples of Snop not being a dick. :biggrin:

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...14770&st=15

I will give him some credit, he is a knowledgeable guy w/some real world experience and is great at helping guys get set up for the dunes out west and such. I agree w/the fact that he busts guys out who are passing bad info. Noone needs that.

My only problem is you come over as a dick sometimes Snop, and maybe you don't mean it. I know we can all have our moments and such so whatever....no biggie.

Back to the subject at hand. I have also succesfully run a tusk clutch kit in an 80 plus horse bike for 2 yrs w/no problems. I did end up burning it up when I got an override and didn't have a lockup yet. I then went and purchased a Barnette because I was at the beginning of a week long vacation and burnt it up in about 20 minutes. Now I realize I just plain needed a lockup and probably no clutch was going to hold up to the abuse. My way of thinking on this though is that the tusk clutch is just not overpriced. I have seen plenty of others run them w/great success. With all that being said, my favorite fibers are the Yamaha FZR fibers. They are tough, and are a hair wider and seem to be a little less destructive to clutch baskets as far as the grooving goes. Here is a great kit w/them in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-BANS...A1%7C240%3A1318

Here is one of many examples of Snop not being a dick. :biggrin:

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...14770&st=15

I will give him some credit, he is a knowledgeable guy w/some real world experience and is great at helping guys get set up for the dunes out west and such. I agree w/the fact that he busts guys out who are passing bad info. Noone needs that.

My only problem is you come over as a dick sometimes Snop, and maybe you don't mean it. I know we can all have our moments and such so whatever....no biggie.

Back to the subject at hand. I have also succesfully run a tusk clutch kit in an 80 plus horse bike for 2 yrs w/no problems. I did end up burning it up when I got an override and didn't have a lockup yet. I then went and purchased a Barnette because I was at the beginning of a week long vacation and burnt it up in about 20 minutes. Now I realize I just plain needed a lockup and probably no clutch was going to hold up to the abuse. My way of thinking on this though is that the tusk clutch is just not overpriced. I have seen plenty of others run them w/great success. With all that being said, my favorite fibers are the Yamaha FZR fibers. They are tough, and are a hair wider and seem to be a little less destructive to clutch baskets as far as the grooving goes. Here is a great kit w/them in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-BANS...A1%7C240%3A1318

Did you soak the fibers in oil before you installed them?

i've been running the barnett carbon fibre clutch (no steels) and all HD springs in my cub with almost a year now with no slippage at all.

the only complaint i would have is that it makes the oil dirty very quickly, so i change tranny oil after every couple of rides.

when it goes i'll be hitting jeff up for the fast kit

Not always true.. I've ran Tusk kits in every one of my bikes.. 2 Banshee's, Raptor, YFZ450 and my 250r. Everyone of the motors was built and they held up... Oh.. and they also held on my 70+ hp drag bike with no lockup. (and thats taking off your so called 15%)

I ran a Tusk kit on my 4mil drag ported cub with no problems for 2yrs.. And i'll probably be running the same Tusk kit next year. Tusk isn't a bad kit and is a viable option. But if you sleep better at night just by spending 60-70 bucks more on a clutch kit. More power to ya.

I haven't run anything other than a tusk kit in my banshees for the last 3 or so years, on bikes that have dyno'd at 76, 100, and 73 HP. Although it doesn't matter what clutch kit you run if the other components (hub, pressure plate, basket, springs) or tranny fluid are shit.

Is this clutch from this link any good??http://www.bansheedepot.com/products.asp?cat=1

Barnett "Dirt Digger" Clutch Kit???

I didnt see your guys input on the Barnett before i asked if it was any good. I will order a F.A.S.T since it looks like tha majority runs it. i hope i can get it before the weekend> :biggrin:

I just ordered one the guy i talked to was really helpful with the clutch and he told me to call him when i get it and he will go through it with me on how to install, i havent torn a Banshee one apart, but he said there is a ball bearing in there and he recommended another better one that stays lubricated, he said the stock one can run dry. Thanks for all the info and help. :biggrin: http://www.redline-racing.net/PARTS.htm