Another "new build not start" topic

NN2

Finally got this YFRZ all wired and at least ready to run. Tried starting it last weekend for the first time. After a lot of kicks it finally sputtered a couple times but that was it. Tried again last night and it ran for a few seconds with the ether I sprayed in it (Don't need a lecture on using that) and that was pretty much it.

I checked all the wiring before even attempting to start and all checked. Kill switches, on/off switch, CDI, pick-up gap, ohmed the coil and stator, everything checks. I can pull the plugs and they put out a nice blue spark when kicking over. Bike just won't fire up and go. When it did start using that ether it sounded like it ran like it should. No back fires, knocking, etc. I have fresh 110 fuel mixed with 927 and new plugs (B8ES). I even lit it on fire to make sure the shit would burn. I'm freaking stumped! Plenty of spark, lots of compression, definitly getting fuel, yet no boom.

I even tried this morning before coming to work. Still wouldn't even fire using ether. When something don't run with that and everything else checks, something is weird. The odd thing is that I could remove the right plug, lay it across the top of the plug hole, kick it over and every few kicks it felt like the left cylinder would fire once and the right would also want to try but couldn't obviously.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get all the details in there. Most of the specs are in my Sig. I do have 55 pilots in the carbs but can't see any jetting making a difference at this point.

We are talking about a YFZ350 Banshee right? Just checking.

Something sounds like the timing is off for some reason. All you need is compression, spark and fuel for ignition.

Does it spark when you had the plug out seeing if it was firing?

I am assuming that you have a manual.

How much advance do you have on it?

Is there any grounding going on in the wiring harness.

I had that happen only once before I found out that my quick disconnect safety plug/ tether cord was dry rotted. "Its that darned plug you wire in to the wiring harness in place of a kill switch that attaches one end to you and the other to the switch and stops the engine if you fall off."

Mine needed replacing and wasnt making a connection when I had it plugged in.

Any how Id pull the left side case and check to see if the timing is set correctly.

Is there a possibility that the flywheel got dropped when you had it apart and cracked the magnets in it and it is messed up now? Just asking..but who knows. Is the flywheel still magnitized? Im reachin for you to give you some alternative troubleshooting areas to look at.

Is the coil grounded to the frame without paint or powdercoating in the way of a good ground?

Are the plug boots fully seated onto the coil wires?

hope these ideas help.

If this doesnt get her going give us the details after work and you have had a chance to check some of these areas out.

If you are still having troubles after checking out these areas,

Snopsynski can sure help you out on this one as he knows alot on these bikes. :cool:

Edited by R. Rollins

Finally got this YFRZ all wired and at least ready to run. Tried starting it last weekend for the first time. After a lot of kicks it finally sputtered a couple times but that was it. Tried again last night and it ran for a few seconds with the ether I sprayed in it (Don't need a lecture on using that) and that was pretty much it.

I checked all the wiring before even attempting to start and all checked. Kill switches, on/off switch, CDI, pick-up gap, ohmed the coil and stator, everything checks. I can pull the plugs and they put out a nice blue spark when kicking over. Bike just won't fire up and go. When it did start using that ether it sounded like it ran like it should. No back fires, knocking, etc. I have fresh 110 fuel mixed with 927 and new plugs (B8ES). I even lit it on fire to make sure the shit would burn. I'm freaking stumped! Plenty of spark, lots of compression, definitly getting fuel, yet no boom.

I even tried this morning before coming to work. Still wouldn't even fire using ether. When something don't run with that and everything else checks, something is weird. The odd thing is that I could remove the right plug, lay it across the top of the plug hole, kick it over and every few kicks it felt like the left cylinder would fire once and the right would also want to try but couldn't obviously.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get all the details in there. Most of the specs are in my Sig. I do have 55 pilots in the carbs but can't see any jetting making a difference at this point.

how many turns on the air screws??

Like said I ended up with a 48 pilot... With the 55 mine barely started after giving her 1/4 throttle when kicking her over...

After going to a 50 pilot she was better then she settles on a 45-48 depending on the weather...

No water leaks into the combustion chamber, half a drop will not make her fire...

The stock curve Borut had on that Zeeltronic was upwards of 25*+ timing advance for some reason. I adjusted everything down so max is 7*. I only have 5 points for the ignition curve. I'll change it to 0* throughout the RPM range and see if that makes a difference. I'm going to put in some 50 pilots too. I thought it would still fire even though the pilots were a bit large. 1 1/2 turns out on the air screws currently. Was at about 3/4 turn.

R. Rollings,

YFZ350 with an RZ topend and Zeeltronic controller. Flywheel is fine, magnets are good, new plug caps, and it sparks good when the plugs are unscrewed and layed over the plug holes.

I'm going to be out of town for the weekend fishing so when I get back I'll check the post and see what other ideas you guys might have. Some things I am going to do for sure are drop down to the 50 pilots, spray out the carbs with cleaner for possibility of water, and drain/clean out the fuel tank. Water is definitely a possibility of being in that tank. I didn't see anything in there but could have had a little water in the fuel tap. I'll keep updated.

Edited by NN2

Well, guess that could be a difference. Did not know that. If so and I have the timing in the CDI at an actual 7* then its way "retarded" and missing half the combustion stroke, right?

Edited by NN2

J-madd has most likely got it right.

With a solid spark and still not firing to even sound like it wants to fire, its gotta be timing issues or carb now.

That jet size is huge, but did it run with those before?

Fix him up J-madd

It looks like you have plenty of hi-po experience as evidenced by your garage.... :cool:

J-madd has most likely got it right.

With a solid spark and still not firing to even sound like it wants to fire, its gotta be timing issues or carb now.

That jet size is huge, but did it run with those before?

Fix him up J-madd

It looks like you have plenty of hi-po experience as evidenced by your garage.... :cool:

This is a complete new setup from crank to CDI, everything. Jim at Passion did my porting and told me to start with the 55 pilots initially according to the carbs and pipes I was using. But the pilots could very well be too big. I did change the timing to 18* so it would be like stock according to J-madd and it still didn't fire. It has fired a few times and did run for maybe 5 seconds and sounded like the timing was ok. One thing I've noticed is that when I pulled the left plug out and layed it over the plug hole to check for spark the 100th time I could feel the motor want to kick back at me when kicking over, like the left cylinder would fire one time. I know I have got to be close. Seems like it's either water in the fuel or too big of jets that are soaking the plugs before they can fire.

Ok, so I have changed to 50 pilots in the carbs, cleaned them, and made absolutely sure there is no water anywhere in the fuel. The only thing I'm left with is a spark that isn't happening inside the cylinders. I kicked it over some more last night with the plugs removed and there is plenty of spark "except" when I kick it a bit slower I don't see much. So when I have to kick the motor over with compression then maybe the flywheel isn't spinning fast enough to create the spark needed when the plugs are installed. What the hell would cause this? The next thing I'm going to do is try pull starting it to see if that would do anything. The stator ohms fine though.

Edited by NN2

Ok, so I have changed to 50 pilots in the carbs, cleaned them, and made absolutely sure there is no water anywhere in the fuel. The only thing I'm left with is a spark that isn't happening inside the cylinders. I kicked it over some more last night with the plugs removed and there is plenty of spark "except" when I kick it a bit slower I don't see much. So when I have to kick the motor over with compression then maybe the flywheel isn't spinning fast enough to create the spark needed when the plugs are installed. What the hell would cause this? The next thing I'm going to do is try pull starting it to see if that would do anything. The stator ohms fine though.

Are you sure the flyweel key hasn't snap and moved, maybe the flywheel nut wasn't tighten enough.

Are you sure the flyweel key hasn't snap and moved, maybe the flywheel nut wasn't tighten enough.

:biggrin: I double checked that last night. Pulled off flywheel and key is still there. This has got to be something stupid.