Wouldn't downshift now wont shift at all

So I went out riding today and got in 3 good hours and all of a sudden I couldn't down shift anymore. It would up shift fine but wouldn't down shift except from 6th gear to 5th. All gears were working fine as i upshifted but when i went to turn around and down shift there was nothing. Fluid still shows full and am hoping its just a linkage problem but really have no idea. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Udate:

After i got it home it wouldn't shift at all. Stuck in 5th

Either the end of your shift shaft flipped around on you or you have broken clutch basket ears stuck below your shift shaft. Pull the cover and you will see.

Ok first off clutch cover is on the left side of motor when sitting on the Quad? I know stupid question but new to quads and haven't really tore into one before. I do not have a Clymers manual but have the full service maual for the banshee and assume that it will have info on pulling clutch cover. I will pull the cover and have a look at what the guts look like. I will probably have to take pictures and post them so if you get a chance keep an eye on the thread for pics of interior. Appreciate the information. If it is any of these things how serious and involved is it to fix? I am reasonably mechanically inclined just haven't ever worked on anything that wasn't a car or truck.

Clutch cover is on the right side driving the bike. You may want to sit down and look over your manual.

Take of the clutch cover (right side). To do this you will want to drain the tranny fluid (there is a plug on the bottom of the motor) and the coolant. Mine did that once and it ended up being the shift fork slipped out too far and re-engaged my shift star funny. Had the exact same problem as you.

The shift shaft will toward the back of the bike when you take the cover off.

Take of the clutch cover (right side). To do this you will want to drain the tranny fluid (there is a plug on the bottom of the motor) and the coolant. Mine did that once and it ended up being the shift fork slipped out too far and re-engaged my shift star funny. Had the exact same problem as you.

The shift shaft will toward the back of the bike when you take the cover off.

Awesome appreciate the info. I will look there first. Did you have to replace the shift shaft or star when it happened to you? Should i replace the shift star and shaft when i'm in there?

You find the problem?

No i had to work late last night and couldn't get it pulled. (Apparently my wife thinks it is more important to spend time with her than work on my quad) Don't know if i agree but what can ya do. Anyway i'm going to try and get off a little early and get it pulled off today. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

The problem with my four-wheeler there was too much slop between the sidecover and the shift-shaft. The sidecover (on mine at least) was keeping the shift shaft engaged in the star. I ended up custom making a nylon bushing to put between the sidecover and the shift shaft so it didn't have enough room to disengage the star. I didn't replace any parts.

Don't know if I should have but that's just what I did.

Edited by maxtrax

All right guys finally got the cover off last night and this is what i found. It looks like the sprocket directly behind the clutch basket has come loose. One of the pictures is of a washer and a clip i found laying on the bottom rail of the case. Other picture is of what moves when you move shift lever. There is a video of my buddy moving the sprocket (not sure what it is really called) back and forth and another video of moving the shifter up and down. It looked to me like the only problem was the sprocket but i may be wrong. Should i replace sprocket? and what else do you recomend. Appreciate any and all info.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/f...er/IMG00020.jpg

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/f...er/IMG00018.jpg

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/f...nt=MOV04713.flv

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv127/f...nt=MOV04712.flv

That circlip and washer could be from in front of that gear. Mine moves some, but not that much. you need to pull your clutch and basket.

remove the bolts and springs at the front of the clutch. then pull the clutch hub and clutch steels/fibers out. then you will need a 32mm socket and a impact. bend down the tabs around the big nut in the middle. have a buddy rap a towel around the clutch basket and hold it while you impact the nut off. It shouldn't take much. no just slide the clutch basket off. take some pictures of your shift star and of the whole side. that may help.

I wouldnt think that gear would cause it to not shift. its just for starting the banshee. But if that washer and circlip got caught in with you shift shaft it could have locked things up.

Look through here and download a manual