want to get into flat track. plz help

banshee racer #113

what do i need to do to my shee for flat tracking? i am 14, and i know prolly almost every1 saya this, but i really am a lot better rider than me age suggests. i have been riding for 11 years. i race at our local atv rodeos, and usualy beat most of the adults and get 2nd. we live around springfield, mo, so we will only be doing the local atuff for now. we jus bought my shee, and i moved up from a blaster. it is an 02', it has alba a arms, reworked shocks, hinson racing clutch, bored .10 over, cool head, nerfs, toomey t5's, keihin 30mm carbs, gforce axle(which doesn't seem to make it that wide), and i think it is ported, and thts about it. we are kinda tight on money right now, so that is my biggest problem. any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated. i would put a pic of it on here but sadly i cant figure it out haha. oh and my email adress is atvraceryamaha@aol.com

Edited by banshee racer #113

what do i need to do to my shee for flat tracking? i am 14, and i know prolly almost every1 saya this, but i really am a lot better rider than me age suggests. i have been riding for 11 years. i race at our local atv rodeos, and usualy beat most of the adults and get 2nd. we live around springfield, mo, so we will only be doing the local atuff for now. we jus bought my shee, and i moved up from a blaster. it is an 02', it has alba a arms, reworked shocks, hinson racing clutch, bored .10 over, cool head, nerfs, toomey t5's, keihin 30mm carbs, gforce axle(which doesn't seem to make it that wide), and i think it is ported, and thts about it. we are kinda tight on money right now, so that is my biggest problem. any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated. i would put a pic of it on here but sadly i cant figure it out haha. oh and my email adress is atvraceryamaha@aol.com

for starters chop your rear swing arm -1 or -2

and buy a sway bar

I'm pretty new to this my self but I would look on E-bay for a Yamaha R6 shock. I got mine in mint condition for $40.00 shipped to my house. That is $20.00 less then a rear lowering kit and in my opinion way better. It keeps your wishbone level with the frame intead of lower, which will cause you to bottum out in rough conditions.

Swaybar for sure. Post some pics of your front shocks, you can probably get them set up to be lower.

Canadianrider? Who is this place you mention for a sway bar? Do you havfe a link to a website?

Edited by BansheeJohn

ok thx. what does the -1 or -2 swinger do? and can i jus get it lower by adjusting the stock shocks? and the back does not seem that wide at all either.

Your G-Force axle should be adjustable with spacers. You can also get different offset rims to change your stance. If you know how to work on your shocks it is real easy to lower them with a sleeve on the shaft. I'm running some Fox remote clickers from a snopro 440 that I had re-worked for me.

banshee028.jpg

banshee029.jpg

the guy we got it from said it was spaced all the way out, and it has the little spacers on it, but it still doesnt seem very wide and the guy did not give us any other spacers. it has stock rims on it. and i don't know how to work on shocks very well. just adjusting them. and like i said, i am tryin to keep the mods pretty cheap, since we are kinda tight on money. mt friend uses crj spacers and lowering kits that are pretty cheap. are those pretty good?

Edited by banshee racer #113

the guy we got it from said it was spaced all the way out, and it has the little spacers on it, but it still doesnt seem very wide and the guy did not give us any other spacers. it has stock rims on it. and i don't know how to work on shocks very well. just adjusting them. and like i said, i am tryin to keep the mods pretty cheap, since we are kinda tight on money. mt friend uses crj spacers and lowering kits that are pretty cheap. are those pretty good?

They work great for a lowering kit. But my opinion like I said before it was less exspensive to buy an R6 shock and have my front ones setup for me. I have $80.00 into the whole set up. I think the lowering kit will run ya around $120.00 for front and back. As far as your axle goes, you only have maybe 2 inches on each side at the most for adjustment. Like I said before if you get 10 inch wide rims with a 6-4 offset you'll gain some that way and you can flip them to get differnet staggers. You need to check the rules for where you'll be racing. I think for AMA you can't be any wider than 50 inches.

If your just starting out I would get it lowered how ever you can and invest in the tires and rims. You'll have a lot of money just in that.

• 2 weeks later...

a sway bar is a must. lowering the back is a must for a good track, when the track goes slick i set mine at 1 in below stock but i normally run mine 2in below stock and my shock all the way soft. im running stock front shocks with full flight +2+1 a arms and a stock swinger.

im looking for a -1 or 2 though if anyone has one.

i also have hoosier tires for sale also just pm me

ok i just purchased an R6 shock off ebay. i am gonna get front lowering kits soon. the crj front lowering kits wont work for mine since i have the alba a arms. i think i am gonna get a set of crj spacers just for the back. the R6 shock should be here in 3-5 days i will try to post a pic of it after i get that on there. and thanks for all the help everybody