Compression ?

wouldnt go over 165 if you advanced the timing i would run race gas anyways or at least mix it half and half

I agree with this. I ran my trail bike at 165psi, +4 timing for years without issues. Hell my buddy was running his bike at 175psi on pump gas. I wouldn't do it, but he as well had zero issues with detonation or anything related to low octane.

I know someone that is running over 165+ with +4 timing on 93 octane. I don't think I would but he's done it for years. If I went anything over 160-165 I think I would at least mix with race gas to be safe.

On my current bike I have about 140psi with +4 and I am using 93 without any trouble.

Edited by maxtrax

it really depends on how everything is set up and the mods. do some research and youll learn enough to feel safe.

that is the truth there..i have a aggressive dune port from her jugs,20 domes,150 psi,+4 timing..and i have to run 70/30 mix(110 race fuel and 91 octane)..learned the hard way :blink: ...all depends on the mods

Edited by johnny boy

I'm planning on getting a cool head soon and want to know ahead of time what size domes to get. I'm on stock port 80 over . got some pro circuits on the way and have a k+n with the lid off. Next winter I'm gonna go with a 4 mill and a mx port on a fresh set of juggs but till then I want a lil more go then what she has now.

Edited by robert0762

Does advanced timing cause you to deto earlier or vice versa???

The timing advance causes the gas fuel/air mixture to ignite earlier. There is a difference between ignition and detonation. Detonation is caused when the compression is too high for the octane rating and it spontaneously combusts. Ignition is caused by the spark plug.

A higher octane fuel will take slightly longer to burn and give you a more consistent power and more even heat distribution throughout the engine. If you run too low of an octane in an engine with timing advance, the fuel will give too much power before the piston reaches the top and cause excessive strain and heat.

Hope that helps you some