Best filter for Dirtbike in SAND?

I just picked up a 2005 YZ 125 w/ FMF pipe, v-force 3s and what looks like to be the stock foam filter. I took it out for a day last week in a sandy spot in NJ. I was following alot of banshees and it was very dusty. Today, I took it out by myself and it ran horrible. But it doesn't look like any sand got through the filter. I was just wondering what you guys run in your dirtbikes in sandy areas. Should I get a K & N w/ and outerwear or UNI dual stage?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help

i run k&n's with outerwears on our bikes, i got 6 years on mine before i tore it down. it still had 160 lbs compression and i only tore it down because the bottom end was coming apart.

some guys run foam, some guys run k&n's. i think they both work well, i just happen to have had great success with the k&n's.

i think that either way your covered...

Dont know what you guys think of the NOTOIL filters.Ive been using them on my sons yz 125 for the last two years now with out any problems and he rides in a lot of dust,on competition days theirs between 100 to 140 bikes and a lot of dust.It is also quick to clean and not to much hassles.

Just like to add to my previous post.Forgot to tel ya.

Friend of mine changed the pistons on my sons yz125(second set)about 2 weeks ago and told me that the barrel looks brand new so that also tells me that no shit gets through that notoil filters.Like ive said he rides a lot in dust.One race is 6-7laps one lap is 18miles long 2 races a month and practising on farm you make the maths.

I know a lot of people believe in K&N filters but personally i believe in foam filters.My son is also lazy when it comes to cleaning his bike and i make him clean his airflter after every race and the notoil is easy and fast to clean.

Just my 02 cents.

Awesome little bike hope you enjoy yours as must as my son enjoys his 125.

I agree.. In dusty conidtions.. if you want to protect that motor... Tacky oiled foam.. :thumbsup:

I havn't ever used the no-toil filters.. but i'm sure they're good. The only foam filter i'm not really a fan of is the Uni filters.. I like the twin-air filters because the stages are bonded together rather then loose.

K&N filters are designed for on-road use, not the dusty, sandy, dirty environments that we ride. Some folks will look at the K&N's higher price and assume that its far superior to a cheap peaces of foam. If its costs more, its HAS to be better. And I think a lot of K&N's were sold under that premise. And Im positive that the K&N does filter dirt and sand, but my hunch is foam does it better.