Interesting idle problem

hi. i recently purchased a one stock 01 shee which ran perfect. i've since added a K&N filter, removed the air snorkel, a set of paul turner hi revs, and upped the main jets to 260's.

the bike was running great, but was a real pain to start when the engine was cold. i next upped my pilot jets to 27.5's and the starting seemed to improve. my needle clip has never been moved from the 3rd position. plugs are a nice light brown color.

here's the interesting part. when i reassembled the carbs after putting the pilots in, i forgot to tighten the 2 clamps that hold the carb boots tight on the choke side carb. i ran the bike for 2 days like this with no problems. today i realized what i did and tightened the 2 clamps. all day my bike has not been able to hold an idle.

a friend tried adjusting the idle screws on the tors assembly and it didn't help. i've been playing with it for a whle now and haven't gotten too far. i've gotten the idle screws back to 1 1/2 turns after the slides move and my air screws are at 2 turns.

i now need to give the bike some throttle when starting and if i keep the throttle in a hair and the choke all the way out, the bike will idle. once i let off the throttle, or do not have the choke out, it just dies.

all ideas are welcome & thanks in advance!

hi. i recently purchased a one stock 01 shee which ran perfect. i've since added a K&N filter, removed the air snorkel, a set of paul turner hi revs, and upped the main jets to 260's.

the bike was running great, but was a real pain to start when the engine was cold. i next upped my pilot jets to 27.5's and the starting seemed to improve. my needle clip has never been moved from the 3rd position. plugs are a nice light brown color.

here's the interesting part. when i reassembled the carbs after putting the pilots in, i forgot to tighten the 2 clamps that hold the carb boots tight on the choke side carb. i ran the bike for 2 days like this with no problems. today i realized what i did and tightened the 2 clamps. all day my bike has not been able to hold an idle.

a friend tried adjusting the idle screws on the tors assembly and it didn't help. i've been playing with it for a whle now and haven't gotten too far. i've gotten the idle screws back to 1 1/2 turns after the slides move and my air screws are at 2 turns.

i now need to give the bike some throttle when starting and if i keep the throttle in a hair and the choke all the way out, the bike will idle. once i let off the throttle, or do not have the choke out, it just dies.

all ideas are welcome & thanks in advance!

seems like it could be a tors problem to me

Could have sucked some dirt into the carb through the loose boots, "pilot jet" doesn't take much, plus is choke tube in place between the carbs?

Depending where you are, prolly could go one size up on mains.

choke tube is in place.

if the problem / dirt was in the pilot jet area, would the bike still start easily?

thanks for the input.

i was thinking the same thing, but would a tors problem even allow the bike to start, run fine, and just die at idle?

thanks for the input.

yes, but if you had a plugged pilot, and an airleak, you can get it to run off the mains and choke by raising the slide alot.

unplug the tors box under the gas tank, next to the coil to rule it out first. just takes a second

yes, but if you had a plugged pilot, and an airleak, you can get it to run off the mains and choke by raising the slide alot.

unplug the tors box under the gas tank, next to the coil to rule it out first. just takes a second

will try this tomorrow and update. thanks.