Porting at Home

i believe that snope on here also uses the cornwell unit. there used to be a cornwell tools saleman that drove around my area, but he hasn't been around for years. i have no idea how i would get one and now that i think of it, my bluepoint grinder is the exact same.

2003LimitedBanshee, do you have to use left hand carbides w/this thing? i've been using right hand carbides with this thing and having the cutter end of the cutter, sticking out the side of the spindle w/the collet. now, i see in my cc specialties catalog, that they show a pic of #1mc handpiece, w/left hand cutters, but sticking out the spindle, that's opposite the collet. am i just using the tool wrong? i would think that it should still work properly w/right hand cutters??

No, you don't have to use left hand at all with the #1 MC. Just I guess in some spaces being able to use a left hand carbide will make it nicer, make the tool less likely to grab and try to "run" in the port. If you are going to use left hand carbide, you have to turn the burr the opposite direction, so the only way to achieve this is to have the burr coming out the opposite side.

There has to be something going on here. When you ordered the replacement, did they ask you again what size collet you wanted. Something has to be going on here. Back when I bought my #1 MC everyone was telling me that was the only handpiece to buy, mine works awesome, and up until now I'd never heard of anyone having a faulty issue. I tried snapping some pics of mine tonight, but my stooooopidddd photobucket won't pick them up from my phone! Let's see a pic, maybe we can see what's going on?

Hopefully I will throw my freshly ported cylinders on tomorrow night. The Yamaha shop wanted $70 for a pull on the dyno and it was a two week wait. I KNOW they are NOT that busy, WTF! So, everyone should have an idea what T5's and other bolt on's add up to, so my after numbers should be good enough. Cylinders mic'd out fine, so just going to throw a quick hone on them and run with the stock pistons for a quick go, but then going to pull and have them honed and get a set of wiseco's in there to hold up to the revs.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now i have an 8 sec video clip of me, showing the slop of the spindle. how do i post this video up here? anyone want to give me there email, and i can email the video over and then maybe you could post it up for me?

2003LimitedBanshee, could you give me your email, so i can email you the video? then you can see what i mean by the spindle slop and then compare what i have going on, to what yours does.

Edited by mopar1rules

i believe that snope on here also uses the cornwell unit. there used to be a cornwell tools saleman that drove around my area, but he hasn't been around for years. i have no idea how i would get one and now that i think of it, my bluepoint grinder is the exact same.

2003LimitedBanshee, do you have to use left hand carbides w/this thing? i've been using right hand carbides with this thing and having the cutter end of the cutter, sticking out the side of the spindle w/the collet. now, i see in my cc specialties catalog, that they show a pic of #1mc handpiece, w/left hand cutters, but sticking out the spindle, that's opposite the collet. am i just using the tool wrong? i would think that it should still work properly w/right hand cutters??

Did Roddy help you with figuring out why you were having so much trouble?? Yeah right hand rotation carbide in left hand rotation will cause a bumpy ride and can even break your collet if your not careful. We have people all over the world that use our #1mc daily and LOVE IT and don't have any trouble. We sent out your left hand shape C in the diamond cut but I don't carry the left hand in alumni cut. I can try to special order you some if you need me to. I hope this was the problem and not the #1mc. We also sent your collet for the #44mc and credited your card for the return of the original #1mc minus your new products. The #1mc you sent back worked fine but it can be a confusing handpiece to work with. Your new order didn't go out yesterday but it will be going out today cause I finished it yesterday after UPS picked up. Hope you got it figured out now and back up running. If need anything else just call or write.

Did Roddy help you with figuring out why you were having so much trouble?? Yeah right hand rotation carbide in left hand rotation will cause a bumpy ride and can even break your collet if your not careful. We have people all over the world that use our #1mc daily and LOVE IT and don't have any trouble. We sent out your left hand shape C in the diamond cut but I don't carry the left hand in alumni cut. I can try to special order you some if you need me to. I hope this was the problem and not the #1mc. We also sent your collet for the #44mc and credited your card for the return of the original #1mc minus your new products. The #1mc you sent back worked fine but it can be a confusing handpiece to work with. Your new order didn't go out yesterday but it will be going out today cause I finished it yesterday after UPS picked up. Hope you got it figured out now and back up running. If need anything else just call or write.

diedra, i got your message on my phone and on it you said that you are shipping the 3/32" collet?? i needed a 3/16" collet for the #44 handpiece.....not the 3/32". hopefully you shipped what i wanted, and just called it the wrong size....LOL. also, i didn't want a left hand aluma cut. i wanted a 1/8" cylinderical radius end double cut left hand burr and a 1/8" cylinderical radius end diamond cut left hand burr. so, you don't carry the 1/8" cylinderical radius end double cut left hand burrs?? thanks for being so easy to work w/thru this confusion and such w/the 1mc handpiece. later...

Edited by mopar1rules

diedra, i got your message on my phone and on it you said that you are shipping the 3/32" collet?? i needed a 3/16" collet for the #44 handpiece.....not the 3/32". hopefully you shipped what i wanted, and just called it the wrong size....LOL. also, i didn't want a left hand aluma cut. i wanted a 1/8" cylinderical radius end double cut left hand burr and a 1/8" cylinderical radius end diamond cut left hand burr. so, you don't carry the 1/8" cylinderical radius end double cut left hand burrs?? thanks for being so easy to work w/thru this confusion and such w/the 1mc handpiece. later...

No I sent you 3/16 collet for the #44mc and if I said 3/32 I'm sorry. It was a long day. We had several foreign orders and they didn't speak much English so my brain was not working properly. I sent you a Left Hand shape C which is the rounded cylinder in a double cut which is the diamond cut. The alumni cut is also double cut but much more aggresive and we don't stock those in the alumni cut. What I sent was the collet and the Left Hand C in a diamond cut. If you need a deeper cross cut (alumni cut) than the diamond cross cut I can check with our carbide man and see if he can special order some for us. All the Left Hand is 1/8" shank. We also have a few 1/8 x 3" right hand rotation carbide if you ever need a longer shank. Let me know if you have any more questions and hopefully this will get you up and running. Thanks and good luck!

2003LimitedBanshee, get a chance to play w/those cylinders yet?? i'm real anxious to hear how they work out for you.....LOL.

Well if I can get some school tests out of the way tonight, I'm hoping to put a quick hone on the cylinders just to break the glaze. I picked up a set of 64mm Wiseco's which right now have about .0025" clearance to the cylinder wall, .003" recommended; so, with just a light honing they should be within spec. If that goes well, I should be running by this weekend. I have a set of 19cc domes that I'm going to put in there to start with; also picked up some 360 mains to start out with on my jetting. A respected local builder in my area said he didn't like to exceed 165 psi for compression, but I'm going to start with the 19's and go smaller depending on what it feels like. I'm also going to bump up to +5 or maybe +6 on my timing.

I considered running it with the stock pistons, but I decided I would be real disappointed to scatter it right after I got done building it, thus the wiseco's.

Well I should be able to take it out for a spin tomorrow evening!! Got everything all buttoned up except for the tank. I had to stop there because if I put that on there was going to be no stopping me from starting it up and I didn't figure anyone was going to appreciate my work at this hour! Ha!

Got some more pics as progress was made, will post tomorrow. God I can't wait to try this thing out!!!

shit the hell with them go for it who really cares lol no man dont get introuble but have fun with it lol and like i said earlier if you want a set of jugs to play with I have an extra set you could mess around with dont need them anytime soon. I just got a set that are a good runner if you want to play the others I could reinburse you with a couple of bits to do some grinding

It runs!!!! But I only got to fire it up and run it long enough to seat the rings. :banghead: Something about the girlfriend didn't get to see me much this week, which severly cut into my quad time this evening... But, it fired right up after 3 good kicks (carbs were dry etc.) and idled just fine, once I was satisfied the rings were seated and I let it idle down. NO, I didn't just spin it way up at first, or at all for that matter. Once again, didn't get to ride it to see what I thought. Tonight was even a little more punishment, because I had it running and everything.

IT WILL BE RUNNING (on the road) TOMORROW NIGHT THOUGH! Get out of fire academy at 5:30 and it's going to be the first thing I do right after. Have to swap my dirt tires on and heat cycle it a couple times back and forth between a buddy's house about 1/2 mile up the road. Then I'm going to let it rip!!! I threw some 360 mains in it just to be safe for now; once I've got it heat cycled and ready to rip, I'll start messing with the jetting. Sounded a bit different on firing it up. A little more poppy and just a "different" exhaust note; fired right back up on one easy kick after it was lukewarm idling.

Alright, all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!! I did a couple of heat cycles on the thing and then took it for a couple 3/4 throttle or so blasts, never made it to full throttle. On the stock swingarm, WAY TOO SHORT!!!!!! The other concern was the jetting; it never seemed to hesitate, so I was hesitant to blast it full throttle and have something go disasterously wrong on the first ride. I know this isn't the jetting forum, but what are people running on average on a "dune" port?

I've got 360's in it right now, still on a stock pilot, which I think I will bump up. It's still in the shake down phase for sure, but so far, I've got a huge smile on my face!

awesome man.. glad to hear good results.. so how wold you describe the power with this porting?? an al around, drag, woods?? just glad to hear good results..

Well, because I don't have my jetting where I am comfortable with it yet, I haven't tested the top end pull yet or run it up through all the gears to the top. Really, all I've had it up through right now is the midrange. Like I mentioned at the first of the post, I was recommended the specs by a well known builder, why he gave them to me, I'm still not really sure. The specs were recommended to me based on my question about a dune port with my pipes and other build specifics. The exhaust timing is way radical, but it is increased a fair amount from stock, which gives it more top end emphasis, but the blowdown timing is still very reasonable at 30.5*, so that helps the bottom/midrange. So, if that makes it all around or more top end, I guess I would say good all around power, but it should pull strong on top too...

I am going to bump up my mains and get the jetting close to right and then I found another local place to make some dyno pulls. Those curves should give a better representation of the power and delivery. Seat of the pants dyno, this thing frickin' RIPS now!!! The jetting seems close, but I have not done a plug check yet. Blast up to almost 3/4 throttle were very crisp and I didn't experience any hanging RPM's when I let off, so it doesn't exhibit a "classic" lean characteristic.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, this is definitely going to be an addicting habit, working over cylinders. I think I want to pick up a set of junk cases and maybe an old crank assembly that I could use for degreeing stuff in. Anyone out there have some stuff that I could use as a test bed for degreeing my port timings and stuff??? :biggrin: This would make it a lot nicer, instead of having to tear my personal bike down...

Darth, I'm definitely up for seeing if we can make something work for you! Man I'm torn, I want to ride this thing more, but I'm also looking forward to trying out the next set of cylinders. What a blast!