Compression Numbers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first Im going to find a better compression tester...if anyone has the name or link to one I would appreciate it. Then if the compression doesn't check out, I thought about sending the cylinders to Lakes Motorsports...I saw them on Ebay and they do the top end for $299 including the machine work...anyone know anything about them?

I really hope it doesn't need a rebuild right now because it was running awesome the other day and starting easy. When it started getting hard to start I noticed gas dripping from one of the vent lines off the carbs...people told me to rebuild the carbs and all my troubles would go away.

Also, I have done plenty of mechanical work...how hard is it to do the topend for your first time? Thanks.

Well first Im going to find a better compression tester...if anyone has the name or link to one I would appreciate it. Then if the compression doesn't check out, I thought about sending the cylinders to Lakes Motorsports...I saw them on Ebay and they do the top end for $299 including the machine work...anyone know anything about them?

I really hope it doesn't need a rebuild right now because it was running awesome the other day and starting easy. When it started getting hard to start I noticed gas dripping from one of the vent lines off the carbs...people told me to rebuild the carbs and all my troubles would go away.

Also, I have done plenty of mechanical work...how hard is it to do the topend for your first time? Thanks.

Doing a topend is not hard at all. You can pick the piston kit up for around $2oo, if you have a local machine shop you could probably get the boring or honing done cheaper also.

Like the others have said though, I would investigate other potential problems of why it will not start and then invest or have someone with a known reliable comp. tester check your comp. before going and purchasing a new piston kit etc.

Those numbers are low for your elevation w/ the milled head.

On a side note, if you do need to rebuild the top end purchase the pistons and then let the person doing the cylinder boring match the pistons to the bore.

Get a new comp tester.... That one will read low.

Brandon

Word...Actron = Actjunk.

Craftsman makes a nice kit, as does Snap on for more $$.

Make sure the spark plug threads are as long on your tester as your spark plug itself (I think it's 14 or 16mm, not 100% sure on that)

Shorter threads on the tester will create a low/false reading as well.

Unless that motor has very, very aggresive porting on it, those compression numbers are low at 500 foot above seal level with a .010 shaved head.

It should still attempt to start, however...even if those numbers are somewhat correct.

Have you COMPLETELY cleaned the carbs? I"m talking remove every piece of brass, clean it, etc. Set float height, etc.

Fresh fuel and oil? Fresh Spark Plugs, etc?

i know i dont even think this guy cleaned his carbs. that would have been my first attemtp at anything. but i just baught a set of pistons for 90 bucks and they seem realy good. they have the grooves like wiseco's and they also have a small boost port. they are also 90 bucks wich makes them even nicer. i got them from turbo1racing.com..... also get a comp tester that isnt universal.... let meknow where you get yours and the price because i just did a rebuild with those pisties and threw on a cool head with 21cc domes and i wana se the compression its got now.

yah i know so im waiting to see how they performe. if they performe like shit ill lean out the gas and act like i didnt know so my parents wont kill me....jk but yah i hear yah. i dont think anybody got them other than me so that sucks even if i could say yah there awsome thats only one mans opinion

yah i know so im waiting to see how they performe. if they performe like shit ill lean out the gas and act like i didnt know so my parents wont kill me....jk but yah i hear yah. i dont think anybody got them other than me so that sucks even if i could say yah there awsome thats only one mans opinion

If you had gas pooring out of your over flows, You need to pull your carbs off and clean them. I'm sure your floats are sticking from what you said. As far as the compression goes you are on the edge of a rebuild or re-ring at least. Stock bore and head should be at 124lbs each cylinder. With your head shaved .10 you would only gain around 5lbs of compression. I would buy a good head or have yours done by a professional to be safe.

One more thing tell us how you are doing your compression test. Both plugs out? Cold? Warm? Those things.

You get what you pay for, remember that.

I've yet to hear of a real satisfied customer of those products, other than unjustified claims on their site....

True that, I would rather pay a little extra and know im recieveing a quality product rather than trusting some no namer's testimonials..

if they performe like shit ill lean out the gas and act like i didnt know so my parents wont kill me....jk

I hope your joking, if you would be willing to cause further destruction over a set of 90$ pistons I would flat out call you an idiot right now. Even worse your parents would be even more pissed off because to fix it, it would just cost them more money.

Good luck.

I removed one plug at a time to do the compression test...one plug was always in while doing the test. The temperature outside was around 60 degrees and the bike hadn't been running. I really hope its just the carbs...I ordered rebuild kits for both carbs, but it will be a week or two before I can work on them...my Wrangler just took a crap today! Any guesses on what my jetting should be with my mods just so I can check what the previous owner had done. Thanks for all the help .