finally rode the overide tranny today

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its funny how all these straight line guys say they never have problems with there forks.. they say i drag or dune(straight line riding) for 5 yrs no problems.. i doubt 10mils with plus 12's ride where big percent of hq'ers ride.. anyone ever go woods riding with dunable for several yrs and not have a problem???? at high speeds you can back load the last gear so most these guys never have a problem but telling you if you back load alot in trails or tt racing over time it will burn your forks.. but its worth it cus there awesome ... i just get used to using a clutch instead of my motor.. i got pics of some forks that had some tt races on them...

well, with the limited use it has seen so far. i rode it on open gravel roads being very easy on it.. i only really backloaded it once.. that should not have filled the oil with metal shavings.. and with the noise it made from the start, there is something that I did wrong.. i will know here in a few minutes.. i am thinking that i left a washer out from behind the basket.. im switching over to synthetic oil after this .. maybe the synthetic will help cut down on the wear on the forks.

there verdict is in!!! i did not find anything that looked worn, except, the clutch basket cushions have excessive play, and the tranny bearing (behind the clutch basket) is loose as hell!!! not the bushing in the basket,.. you can grab the clutch basket and wobble it up and down.. so there is a lot of end play on the tranny shaft.. so i guess its time to split the cases AGAIN.. i have a new set of bearings already, but need the hinson basket cushions.. u guys think this (bearing) is what is making all the noise and metal shavings??? need some input..

good luck with this topick i had the same noise for a couple years. metal in oil and if you stick a screwdriver behind the kicker and put your ear to the handle i could hear it the loudest on mine.hope you get yours fixed as i went through my local builders and they found nothing other than tuns of metal in the oil.and all i got out of it was a big bill for new rebuild i tore mine down many times as well and never found anything well need less to say i got tired of wasting money and sent my motor to NATE MCCOY havent got it back yet but verry soon

ps. if you did a search on here about noise in tranny you will find a couple of them and i dont think anny was resolved

I put a 1-5, n down, duneable in my cub last spring. Broke a shift fork last month (Feb). Both the forks in the back were very worn, the fork next to the output shaft was broke. The single front fork in the front was still in new condition.

I pulled the motor and flipped it upside down and pulled the lower case to do the repair, so it wasn't too big of a job. Anyone have any ideas why this would happen? I thought I was being careful with backloading. Apparently not careful enough.

Thanks,

Rick