370 mains

MILO

i've seen so many posts on here with similar mod's that have way smaller mains than what i'm running. i'm just curious about what's going on. i know every quad is a little different but mine seems much higher than most that i've seen. There's no air leaks that I'm aware of.

MODS:

- Pro Flow adaptor, foam filter, no lid

- stock carbs

- V3's

- noss head 20cc domes

- PC pipes / silencers

- elevation 1200'

- summer temps in pa, 70-90

Here's a pic of my last plug chop, after making the last mods to it.

000_0186.jpg

I'm wondering cuz I'm working on a 4 mil stroker build with a few add ons at the moment and wondering what to expect with jetting, if anything. But I'm going to do a plug chop asap when it's running again.

not gonna say much... cause i dont know what to say.. seems too big to me.. i guess when they say each engine is different.. it really means something lol. that must really drink your fuel.. im dying here running 300 mains.. adds up to 600 mains since its 2 carbs.. which is like 5 times more than an average 4 stroke.

Milo, my Banshee is much like like yours as far as jetting. Similar mods except runs pods w/ no box. T5's +4 timing & V2's, Noss head w/ 20cc. Plugs look about like yours too. Run's 370's w/ 27 pilots.

Starts easy, runs crisp/clean, no bogs & no air leaks either. 93 pump gas, 32/1 Klotz Super Tech. Stock carbs, no porting. Doesn't make sence. Ran like this since new in '03.

not gonna say much... cause i dont know what to say.. seems too big to me.. i guess when they say each engine is different.. it really means something lol. that must really drink your fuel.. im dying here running 300 mains.. adds up to 600 mains since its 2 carbs.. which is like 5 times more than an average 4 stroke.

Don't listen to this kid. Adds up to 600 mains?? WTF

Next thing he's gonna be subtracting pilots and dividing sprocket teeth.

I see he finally listened to people's jetting advice and moved to 300 mains and moved the needle clip.

Must be somethin in the water over there in sand land. :shrug:

That does seem a little big... I've felt on the big end of things with my jetting, but you're several sizes above me. But as you pointed out, every bike is different; just look at a couple sets of "stock" cylinders, you'd probably be surprised at the differences you would find. If you've checked, rechecked and triple checked for leaks, it runs good, then have fun! Chop looks good, even and nice color. I jet my bike how it looks best and runs the best, opinions and "norms" don't jet my bike... Run it!

LOL what in the hell kind of help is this reply? 600? i didnt know we were adding the jets together now.

370 seems a little big to me but if it is running good that is what matters. I am running 350 mians in my 4 mill at sea level.

LOL what in the hell kind of help is this reply? 600? i didnt know we were adding the jets together now.

370 seems a little big to me but if it is running good that is what matters. I am running 350 mians in my 4 mill at sea level.

i was kinda misunderstood..., i meant FUEL consumption wise running 300 mains on 2 carbs is like 600 mains on a single carb, FUEL consumption wise.. or was i wrong? sorry if so, thats what i thought.. but now come to think of it yeah.. you dont add them up :(

my bad sorry.. just said some random shit there without thinking.. :(

i was kinda misunderstood..., i meant FUEL consumption wise running 300 mains on 2 carbs is like 600 mains on a single carb, FUEL consumption wise.. or was i wrong? sorry if so, thats what i thought.. but now come to think of it yeah.. you dont add them up :(

my bad sorry.. just said some random shit there without thinking.. :(

thats the norm for you right? hahahaha!!!! theres no way youre actually being serious when you post this kinda crap. i think you just get your jollys by making us take you serious! :yelrotflmao:

here's the deal. larger than normal mains typically means either 1) an inefficient motor or 2) a friggin lot of airflow is being moved... since it's mostly stock, i'm going with option 1.

let me explain and I'm sure most of you know this; vacuum is what pulls the air through the main jet... with the larger main, that's telling me that your motor is not pulling a lot of vacuum, probably a little to due to the slightly higher elevation not getting as much air volume, and since it's not pulling efficient vacuum it's not sucknig a lot of fuel, so opening the main jet orifice allows more fuel to come through to compensate.

In truth, that bike running 370s is probably not using much more or any more fuel than FTW's banshee that runs 280s... it's just getting the fuel in a different manner. If your bike, Milo, was then ported, your jetting very likely could come down, due to the increase in airflow and vacuum. I would almost consider putting the stock reed cages back in with some Boyesens or something similar until you port your motor, see how that affects your jetting and performance. Seeing that the vacuum and efficiency is not there, I don't believe your motor is making all the power it could or should.

if it runs good, isn't lean and your happy with it, go with it. if you want to experiment a little, take my suggestion and see where it goes.

hmm, where to begin....

i'm running yamalube 2-R on 92 octane / 32:1. doing plug chops on hot motor, change to new plugs, kill it at WOT 6th gear, put old plugs in for the ride home, then chop them. needle is either in stock position or 1 above, i don't recall for sure anymore. there is no bog whatsoever at top end and it runs smooth all through the throttle. starts & idles fine too.

as far as porting, i'm working on it. i just got my cylinders back from HJR for an aggressive trail / dune port, and waiting on a few other parts from the local shop to get it together again. it's going to be a 4mil long rod, wiseco 795's, custom stroker domes, .020 bore, + 4-5 timing advance. along with the previously mentioned mods in the original post. i'll be running min. 110 octane with the new build.

so you think the mains will actually go lower with the porting? i'm planning on checking the plugs asap after getting it running again. you think i'll be safe with the 370's after the above changes long enough to check them out?

at least i feel better knowing that it's not a completely uncommon size for the mains. i guess it takes whatever it takes, every ride is a little different.