What does this mean?

Boo_69

I have a 99 dodge ram 2500. The other day I was driving and all of a sudden the panel went dead. Tach, speedometer, oil, temp, everything went to zero and "no bus" was on where the odometer is. The truck ran fine and a few minutes went by and everything went back to normal. This has happened a few times, it never dies just the insturment cluster freaks out. Just wondered if anyone else ever had this happen and what you did to fix it. Thanks fellas!!!

same thing happend to my 00 dodge dakota.. ended up the pcm was going bad..and thats a warning sign..

mine started doing that..got used to it..then it would do that and shut the truck off..id have to wait 15 minutes to get it started again

then after a little longer

the truck was dead. new pcm fixed it

beware. pcm from dealr is fucking rediculas. lik 700 + labor and programming. get the numbers off of yours see if its california or federal emmisions and start calling salvage yards untill you find one that matches. the dealers will tell you this wont work blah blah blah just do it. do you have to pass smog where you are?

I live in Michigan so I don't think so.

if its rural then probably not. so just call the dealer and tell them you need a PCM and give them the numbers off of yours and see if its cali or federal i believe its the last two letters, but find out and start calling salvage yards and tell them EVERYTHING about your truck and then cali of federal numbers and then get one should be around 100 bucks. and your mileage wont change thats a different computer. I suggest do it now before the truck wont run anymore

Check the connection at the back of the instrument panel first. Some trucks have them come loose and this will trigger the No Bus communication code. After you have done that (should actually unplug, check connections and plug back in nice and tight) Disconnect your batteries for minimum of 30 mins to drain off remaining charges and to reset your ECM/PCM and fault codes.

Did you recently do work on the truck around the A-Pillar, under dash, etc?

Also, if you have the overhead console, a broken/damaged wire (runs along driver A-Pillar) will cause "No Bus" as well.

I have a 99 dodge ram 2500. The other day I was driving and all of a sudden the panel went dead. Tach, speedometer, oil, temp, everything went to zero and "no bus" was on where the odometer is. The truck ran fine and a few minutes went by and everything went back to normal. This has happened a few times, it never dies just the insturment cluster freaks out. Just wondered if anyone else ever had this happen and what you did to fix it. Thanks fellas!!!

No Bus generally mean you have lost one of the CAN bus's. More than likely it's the J1939 bus and a ECM, wiring, or one of the components on the bus is causing the problem. You need to get someone with an OBD capable service tool to plug into and see what else you have for fault codes. That should easily point you at what is actually bad. :geek:

Check the connection at the back of the instrument panel first. Some trucks have them come loose and this will trigger the No Bus communication code. After you have done that (should actually unplug, check connections and plug back in nice and tight) Disconnect your batteries for minimum of 30 mins to drain off remaining charges and to reset your ECM/PCM and fault codes.

My mechanic at work suggested the same thing so going to try that tonight.

You need to get someone with an OBD capable service tool to plug into and see what else you have for fault codes. That should easily point you at what is actually bad.

If needed the guy at work has one and we can do that there.

Thanks to all again.

does yours have a digital Odometer? if so turn the key on and off three times and it will display the codes on the odometer.

As far as the Diesels go, 99 will not display trouble codes in the Odometer read out.

If it is a gasser, I am not sure :ermm:

I know what your problem is! It's a fucking piece of shit Dodge. I can say that because i own a dodge right now, been in the shop 4 times before they slapped a brand new motor in the bitch and right after that the tranny went out. I'm trading it in faster than a mach fucking 10 jet.

Fucking dodges, i will definitely dodge these bastards the rest of my life.