***Please take this POLL about water and sticking throttle**

Do you have a problem when hitting water puddle or creeks?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I'm sure most of you have seen, we are trying to figure out why the banshee carbs bog or rev when hitting water. Holyman and I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Several other have done some testing as well. I can't figure it out. I seem to be the only person that can re-created it with a water hose a sprayer. Please help us gather some information.

This poll is to find out if your banshee has ever bogged or reved to the moon when hitting water.

Please let us know what year banshee you have, if you have stock carbs or what type of carbs you do have and if you have tors or not. We need to find some kind of common grounds for the throttle sticking or bogging when hitting water.

1. Have you had a problem when hitting water?

2. Did it bog or rev?

3. Do you have stock carbs?

4. Do they have the tors still on top?

5 What year is your banshee?

I tried to do a poll, but it won't let me list all the years of banshee's. It's to many poll options. Please just list your information and whether you've had a problem or not...Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I could have said I do have a problem when hitting water. It revs to the moon. My carbs are stock with out the tors. I have a 1997 that is mildly ported with fmf fatty's. It just ticks me off when my 4 stroke buds play in the creeks and puddles and I have to watch. I'm to cheap....or broke....right now to just go out and buy carbs, so this is my desperate attempt to resolve this problem. Thanks

I have a 1996 shee, Mild port job, (clean up) Fatties, stock carbs, 330 mains, 27.5 pilots, Rickystator, open lid, uni with outerwear, and it has stuck with the tors caps in place, and with the eliminator. (I had the brain disconnected, that's why it would stick and not shut down with the tors...) it bogs and then revs to the moooooooooon. SOmetimes I can't get it to shut down without holding the brake and dumping the clutch.....

I have a 97 banshee with stock carbs and the tors eliminator. I normally have no problem with water unless i hit it hard enough to cover the airbox. Then it acts as if the cylinders are loading up, spits and sputters. I think this is from the cutting off of air due to the water covering the air box which makes the cylinders become rich all of the sudden. After a second or two of reving the motor its fine. My mud truck does something similar when the exhaust goes under water in very deep holes cylinders load up with fuel. Maybe alot of the troubles you guys are having is with the air intake or does the carbs have any vent lines that could also become blocked when covered with water. This loss of air flow could cause the motor to bog and if covered with water long enough it would cause a vacuum lock that would cause the motor to run lean due to no flow of fuel and air from the carb and if i remember right this would cause it to rev. Just some thoughts.

I am beginning to wonder whether this may be an issue of icing at the carb. The high velocity low pressure air entering the carb has a greatly reduced freezing point so when water is introduced into the carb, it could potentially freeze on the slide jamming the slide in an open position.

Just a theory!!! :P

1988 Banshee, No TORS, K&N Air Filters, 28MM Mikuni Carbs, Billz pipes,

Revs like hell, and I can re-create it with a water hose too. I kinda thought like the other dude, that it was the air filters getting wet, and suddenly enriching the fuel mixture, but there certainly could be something to the suggestion of icing in the bores, it can happen to airplanes, and Bernoulli's principle is definitely at work in these things.

Never have a problem swimming in the ponds unless the airbox takes on water(thats when the sputtering starts).Once the filter gets wet,shee doesn't want to rev.If you wring the filter out shee's ready to go.

Oh yea,I do have tors,but they've never been a problem.The carbs are stock and its an 01'

'95 banshee, stock carb, tors gone, twist throttle, K&N filter, lid depending on how wet is. Shee will bog and then rev to the moon.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the tors eliminator kit, where you drill and tap for the idle screw, could be a source of problems. Displaced metal could be causing the tightness that has been noticed by some of you guys trying to figure this out. Will see if I can find a inside mic to check my carbs. Just a thought. So far, it doesn't seem to effect bikes with tors or different carbs then stock.

97 t5's proflow k+n with outerware stock air box no snorkel 6'1''holes w foam. stock thr.cable through tors but disconected stock carbs w.needle+jet kit.bog's+revs after a good washing.i've tried other known good carbs from my other banshee+same shit!i know mystator cover seal is letting water in there not a lot ,but it dont tak a lot to fu electrical.my theory is leaning twords electrical.i'll test this theory by misting the stator+pickup area with a spray bottel without getting the carbs wet to see if i can create the problem.