need yfz450 experts

so i decided today to go ahead and rebuild the 450. its been 3 years on stock piston..

so i get everything apart and i take off the intake cam guide, holder, whatever you call it.. i look for the clip but i do not see it. i mean not on the cam and not on the guide.. im thinking wtf.. i had taken the exhaust off first and the clip was there, got it, no issue.

so now im thinking wtf..

pull the head off, and i thought i heard something drop.. clip maybe? could be, but i never even saw the fuckin thing. so im like great, here we go..

so i go to the dealership and get the flywheel puller. there is a oil hole under it. ive stuck a magnet pretty deep in there and found nothing.

im running out of options. if the clip had fallen into the crank area, where could it have gone? in by the gears? i know all those areas are connected because i shined a light in there and could see. i figured i would get it after pulling the flywheel, but no luck..

also, i had the valves run on it late last year.. is it possible the dealership couldve left the clip off and it not fucked anything up? i know thats not likely, but i just didnt see it when i pulled the guide off..

where could this fucking clip be? i really dont wanna have to split the cases, but dont wanna put it back together and fuck something up..

any ideas?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler, check around the stator area really good it might have even stuck to the flywheel possibly.

If it's not in that valve on the bottom side of the motor they might not of even put it in there.

Is the motor out of the bike or what?

Id say the fucking dealership didnt put it in there...I dunno if the people that work in dealershipe where you live at are like the ones that work in the ones around my area but they are dumb as fuck...I wouldnt trust them to change a spark plug on mine...but anyways hope you find that clip or get it figured out one

Tyler, check around the stator area really good it might have even stuck to the flywheel possibly.

If it's not in that valve on the bottom side of the motor they might not of even put it in there.

Is the motor out of the bike or what?

no its still in the frame. i was trying to avoid tearing it apart. is it possible to put 10 hours on it and that cam not move? i mean, seems unlikely to me that it would just sit still and not go anywhere, but i swear i looked for it and didnt see it..

then i was kinda paranoid, thinking it was there but i missed it when i thought i heard something drop.. it couldve been the chain for a split second for all i know.

whats back behind the crank? wouldnt it drop down to the very bottom if it got behind there??

I can't really help you out on this Tyler I have my sponsor do all my motor work on my yfz450. If u can't find it I would take it all apart and find the clip. I know a dealer that did a friends 450 . He rode it for 10 mins and she went on him. Come to find out the dealer lossed the clip in the bottom end and said they got it out .He took it to a other dealer come to find out the clip was still in the bottom end and locked it up. So it was a big bill for him to have it fixed over a little clip in the bottom end .

I think it would be safe to take it apart and find it.

no its still in the frame. i was trying to avoid tearing it apart. is it possible to put 10 hours on it and that cam not move? i mean, seems unlikely to me that it would just sit still and not go anywhere, but i swear i looked for it and didnt see it..

then i was kinda paranoid, thinking it was there but i missed it when i thought i heard something drop.. it couldve been the chain for a split second for all i know.

whats back behind the crank? wouldnt it drop down to the very bottom if it got behind there??

Yes it could be possible because you TQ them Cam covers down and once there TQ'd down them cams done move if any, i think the clips are in there just in case.

Check in side the head where the head bolts are there is a little valley way and if you did hear something i bet it feel in there.

Take a flash light and look in there really good and even use a magnet.

I have had a couple fall out before and land in there.

Do you know where i mean on the head below where the cam bearing is.

Yes it could be possible because you TQ them Cam covers down and once there TQ'd down them cams done move if any, i think the clips are in there just in case.

Check in side the head where the head bolts are there is a little valley way and if you did hear something i bet it feel in there.

Take a flash light and look in there really good and even use a magnet.

I have had a couple fall out before and land in there.

Do you know where i mean on the head below where the cam bearing is.

ill check it again tomorrow. i looked that head over pretty well, but maybe i missed it. i hope anyway..

You could pull the jug, take the motor out, flip it upside down and flush it with solvent to try and get the clip out. Also pull the sidecover on the clutch side and flush it to see if it comes out through there. We had a clutch grenade in a raptor and I flushed the cases with solvent with the covers off of it and got everything out. I think if you use kerosene it wont be hard on the seals.

You could pull the jug, take the motor out, flip it upside down and flush it with solvent to try and get the clip out. Also pull the sidecover on the clutch side and flush it to see if it comes out through there. We had a clutch grenade in a raptor and I flushed the cases with solvent with the covers off of it and got everything out. I think if you use kerosene it wont be hard on the seals.

exactly. ill take that as a +1 :cool: