Lincoln locker

pabansheematt

Anyone ever weld the spider gears on a front rear. Just wonder how good it would steer. Got a front Dana 60 with 4:56 gears. Or should I just go with a detroit locker?

for the front? depends if you try to turn on asphault it will break with no problems if its purly off road and will never see a lot of traction go for it then when it breaks buy a real locker

ive done the custom miller locker in the rear but for the front i usually buy a betroit locker or something like that. welding up the front usually snap's a axle or blows the spiders to pieces.
I've had good luck with a welded 14 bolt rear. Sucks on the street. But never tried the front yet. Dont know if i want to sacrafice a 4:56 carrier.

Yea, I've done it quite a few times. Just like everyone already mentioned, don't weld a front set. Not only will turning be a bitch, but the axleshafts and u-joints are too weak. Is that reareand a regular 14-Bolt, or a Corporate 14-Bolt? Detroit Lockers are great, but still make steering a bitch, when in 4wd. The best thing that I ever bought, was an ARB air locker. You just push the button, and it's locked, just like a welded set of spiders. Push it again, and it's a completely open differential. I absolutely loved mine, and it survived through some brutal off-roading.

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case anyone else is interested. The regular 14-Bolt rearends are 9.5", and the axleshaft is held in by a C-clip, and the Corporate 14-Bolt is 10.5" and the axleshafts are held in by the 8 bolt hubs.

Yea, I've done it quite a few times. Just like everyone already mentioned, don't weld a front set. Not only will turning be a bitch, but the axleshafts and u-joints are too weak. Is that reareand a regular 14-Bolt, or a Corporate 14-Bolt? Detroit Lockers are great, but still make steering a bitch, when in 4wd. The best thing that I ever bought, was an ARB air locker. You just push the button, and it's locked, just like a welded set of spiders. Push it again, and it's a completely open differential. I absolutely loved mine, and it survived through some brutal off-roading.

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case anyone else is interested. The regular 14-Bolt rearends are 9.5", and the axleshaft is held in by a C-clip, and the Corporate 14-Bolt is 10.5" and the axleshafts are held in by the 8 bolt hubs.

I got the good one. The 10.5. With a detroit. I had a detroit in my last front 60 and never broke anything. So I was thinking of saving some money by welding it. All i know is I cant leave it open.

i say weld it up, just make sure you do a good job cleaning everything up and get some good welds on it.

also, make sure to unlock at least one of your hubs when your on asphault or anything that will cause your tires to bite...

detroits are great but expensive, arb's are even better but even more plus there air actuated. if you ever find yourself in a deep pit with alot of roots/sticks and crap you can rip off an air line and leave you with an open diff. if you can find one a cable locker is the way to go but they still have problems....

a lincoln locker is pretty reliable if used properly and it only costs you the oil in the housing, some carb cleaner and a little welding rod/wire...

oh, and the gear set your welding up...lol

Edited by swrbansheeboy

detroits are great but expensive, arb's are even better but even more plus there air actuated. if you ever find yourself in a deep pit with alot of roots/sticks and crap you can rip off an air line and leave you with an open diff. if you can find one a cable locker is the way to go but they still have problems....

Well, I had an ARB and a Detroit in my truck. It cost $600 for the ARB, and $650 for the Detroit. The ARB also came with a stainless braided air hose, which was extremely tough. I put that truck through more hell than you could imagine. I've had it so buried in mud, that with all 4 tires pulling in 2nd gear 4HI, and the Warn 8,000lb winch doubled up with a snatch block, it took me about an hour to get out of a hole that was only about 40 feet long. That air hose lived right through my axle dragging across the high center, and all of the huge sticks and rocks. I'm not saying that they won't get broke, but it's damn hard.

Are you going to be rock crawling or mudding or trail riding?? A selectable locker is the way to go either way.
All of the above.

I put the rears in this weekend. Detroit locker in the back, open diff up front. Out climbing some hills and shit today. Works good.