dc conversion

if he runs two seperate circuits through two separate rectifiers and runs the two hot wires together, wont that double the voltage? then maybe use another regulator or zener diode to clamp the voltage at 12v?

no, it's the same as running 2 batteries, like on a deisel. same voltage, but more amperage. same goes for the regulators. wire in parellel to handle more load. also, if you have to run 2, you should use 1/2ohm resistors to ballance because one may be off from the other by a small amount and would pickup the load first without it.

no, it's the same as running 2 batteries, like on a deisel. same voltage, but more amperage. same goes for the regulators. wire in parellel to handle more load. also, if you have to run 2, you should use 1/2ohm resistors to ballance because one may be off from the other by a small amount and would pickup the load first without it.

ok. gotcha on the 2 batteries thing. i guess im thinking 2 batteries in series (+ to -) and youre talking like 2 batteries in parallel. makes sence.

So am I to understand that one regulator/rectifier on each lighting output and tying those together to the battery will work. Then the electrical circuit would draw current equally from total available rather than drawing current from one then the other. Anyone have any ideas what would happen if electrical consumption exceeded one of the stators output a.k.a. 225W total consumption on a dual lighting circuit stator 100W and 150W outputs.

So am I to understand that one regulator/rectifier on each lighting output and tying those together to the battery will work. Then the electrical circuit would draw current equally from total available rather than drawing current from one then the other. Anyone have any ideas what would happen if electrical consumption exceeded one of the stators output a.k.a. 225W total consumption on a dual lighting circuit stator 100W and 150W outputs.

225 load is about the highest i would run on the rectified circuit, although it will handle a little higher. at the point that your lights begin to loose brightness is when the heat in the windings and rectifiers really begins to climb. for example, if you are running 2 100 watt light force lights, and a bar light, the light forces will be fine on the circuit alone, but if you turn on, lets say the 50 watt bar light, and the lights are dimmer at higher rpm's, the circuit is being overloaded, and shouldn't be run for any period of time this way. just remember to account for the draw consumed by recharging the battery, and to use properly sized wire for the current of any circuit, including combined grounds. if you are using the trail-tech rectifiers, or similar, which has separate outputs for battery and lighting, then you can run up to 7ah for battery setup, and closer to 250 watts in lighting, rather than running the lights and battery off one wire, because the rectifiers will not charge the battery until the extra power is available, yet still drawing from the battery at idle.

i guess that was a little long winded, but in short, 225 watt load wouldn't hurt either circuit

Edited by AKheathen

• 1 year later...