thinking of switching fmf to cpi

assbandit

Well I do know a bit about what I'm talking about...I've been riding banshees since about the time you were shitting yellow. I've owned 7 of them over my lifetime and have ridden with and wrenched on more banshees than I can recall...

Before making dumb statements like, "If you don't know what your talking about then shut the fuck up" you might want to figure out who that just really applies too!

I just still for the life of me can't understang why you are so bent out of shape over this...dude, you have serious anger management issues, His opinion (which is merely an opinion) stated in the first post is based on people that he knows telling him probably from experience that fmf's aren't the best pipe available for the banshee...just like the author of this post, who is gonna base his opinion to upgrade pipes based on what he reads in this forum and not from first hand experience.

The fact that this makes you so angry as for you to feel obligated to defend the pipes you happen to ride with is comical...especially when you try and insult people you know nothing about...that really says something for your character!

I will never "stoop to your level" and trade insults with you which it seems is your intention but I can put my .02 cents in...

The FMF pipes work better than stock...TRUE

The FMF pipes work better than other brands like Toomey, Pro circuit, etc...OPINION

The FMF pipes work better than CPI's...TRUE (unless your motor is modded and/or your cylinders are ported)

Would I switch to CPI's with the mods that the author has...ABSOLUTELY

See how easy that was... This website is supposed to be fun and informational and people like you forget that sometimes...

will there be a significant power differance. or should i just stick with the fmf's

First, I only ride my quad in the sand at Glamis. That being said:

I went through this same thing 6 months ago...and I was running Fattys. Most everyone I talked to told me I'd realize significant power gains with a set of CPI's and that my FMF's were killing my top end.

So I bought a set of CPI's and ran 'em for a weekend at Glamis.

Took 'em off the next week and sold 'em to someone on this site...only used 3 days!!

I can't say I had a much bigger top end hit...in fact it seemed the opposite!! I lost nearly every race I was in...contrast that with me being way more competitive with my Fatty's.

The powerband was narrower, so the jump to either 4th or 5th (can't remember which) gear was too much. I'd have to rev it out to absolute MAX rpm to barely catch the upper-mid for that next gear change. If I didn't, it would bogggggg boggggg boggggg....

I'm not saying CPI's are crap, but for my porting, they were crap. Some porting works better with certain pipes...mine works best with Fatty's and prolly T5s.

I'm back on my Fatty's and happy as can be!!

As a bonus, it sure is nice being able to ride in shorts!!

I'm not saying not to believe the hype. Just don't think you are gonna pick up a mega HP difference.

You got 95% of what's there going from stock pipes to the fatty's!!!

you got some real good mods and cpi's would def wake it up alot! i had fattys on my basically stock motor and they performed decent then switched to a 4mil and you could just tell that the engine wasnt reaching its full potential. i switched to shearers which are gonna be very comporable to cpi performance wise and that did the trick...good low to mid power but pulled like crazy on topend! i would like to try cpi to see how they compare but i definately think the cpi's will really let your bike reach its max potential! good luck

i have fmf gold series and cannot afford shearers or cpi's so im buying used t5s for cheap just bc i think any pipe would be better than the fmf that r on my bike. they suck imo. i ride woods and drag accross fields and shit and they have no top end watsoever. i wuold rather have more top and less bottom even in the woods. ihave nvr run another pipe on my shee but have rode other similar modded shees with other pipes and they bahave way dif.

good move :)

Well I do know a bit about what I'm talking about...I've been riding banshees since about the time you were shitting yellow. I've owned 7 of them over my lifetime and have ridden with and wrenched on more banshees than I can recall...

Before making dumb statements like, "If you don't know what your talking about then shut the fuck up" you might want to figure out who that just really applies too!

I just still for the life of me can't understang why you are so bent out of shape over this...dude, you have serious anger management issues, His opinion (which is merely an opinion) stated in the first post is based on people that he knows telling him probably from experience that fmf's aren't the best pipe available for the banshee...just like the author of this post, who is gonna base his opinion to upgrade pipes based on what he reads in this forum and not from first hand experience.

The fact that this makes you so angry as for you to feel obligated to defend the pipes you happen to ride with is comical...especially when you try and insult people you know nothing about...that really says something for your character!

I will never "stoop to your level" and trade insults with you which it seems is your intention but I can put my .02 cents in...

The FMF pipes work better than other brands like Toomey, Pro circuit, etc...FACT

The FMF pipes work better than CPI's...TRUE (unless your motor is modded and/or your cylinders are ported)

See how easy that was... This website is supposed to be fun and informational and people like you forget that sometimes...

true that :)

The FMF pipes work better than other brands like Toomey, Pro circuit, etc...OPINION

Either your too dense to comprehend or your just to pissed off to actually read the post. Either way im over it. And as far as me shitting yellow.... You must be about ready for the rascal chair then

to the original poster:

i think making the change to the CPI's would be a good investment.

you might even want to look at some shearers also.

i actually liked the performance of the shearers better than the CPI's.

I didnt notice any loss in bottom end performance but i did notice

a bit more over rev and top end. and the shearers also fit better.

no more melted outerwears on my airfilters. lol

I liked my FMS's when I had em, then switched to T5s. Not much of a difference there. BUT when I switched from T5's to CPI, it was night and day. Lost just a tad of low end, but the power band kick is crazy, and the top end screams. Definately switch if you run dirt roads, fire roads, dunes, or drags. You will be very happy!

heres the bottom line, on a stock ported motor (no port work) shearer or cpi is probably too short and aggressive of a pipe. you won't notice much if any increase in top end. but you will notice a midrange and bottom end loss of power. cpi and shearer pipes are not designed to work with the port timings of an unported motor. non portred motors always work best with pipes designed for them. NOT DRAG PIPES.

that is why people with stock port motors, or motors with pussy port jobs (trail port, mx, clean up etc) don't notice any high rpm power difference between a fmf toomey etc and a cpi or shearer.

and in fact when my motor still had stock porting, i tried a set of fmf sst, t5's, cpi, shearer and a few others. the fmf and t5 had the best low rpm and midrange power. the shearer and cpi had less power at low rpm and midrange. on the top end at high rpm, the cpi and shearer pipes BARELY outpulled the fmf and t5's. it was pretty even though.

as soon as i put in a aggressive dune port and a stroker crank,i tried all my pipes again. now all the pipes work pretty good. but since i got that aggressive port job, that allows the shorter cpi and shearer pipes to really wake up. and now they flat out out pull the fmf and t5 on the top end and midrange. it's a night and day difference. where the fmf and t5 sign off and quit pulling, the cpi and shearer keep on pulling harder and harder. the shearer and cpi also have a stronger midrange on my ported motor then the fmf or t5 do.

low rpm power is all about the same between all the pipes.

so now class, let us recap: you have to choose a exhaust pipe that fits the needs of youre riding conditions, AND the porting of youre cylinders.

unported motor? - stock to fmf, toomey t6, t5 ,pro circuit, pt low rev etc

mild port motor? same.

dune port?- toomey t5, pt high rev, cpi , etc.

agressive dune port and up to drag port? cpi, shearer, grr and a host of other people who build top end pipes. stay away from toomey, fmf, etc.

any questions, i will kill you in youre sleep.