Clutch Problems

JdiZzla

I last time i was at the dunes my clutch felt like it was slipping only when i would try to launch in 2nd at the hill. So yesterday i bought a clutch and put it in...i did not thow away those little rubber rings, should i have. Oh its an ebc dirt digger. I ran the 3 hd springs with 3 stock springs. I put in honda hp 80w/85w trany fluid. I have the little arrows on the case and clutch arm lined up and there is just a little slack in the cable at the lever. NOW MY QUAD slipps so bad its almost un-ridable. if i run on the street it will slip with me just gunning it in 1st or 2nd. What have i done wrong? This is the first time i have ever replaced a clutch and just did it by taking everything apart and putting it back the way i found it but i may have messed up something. Please help out,

Justin

idk about ur oil i use 10w30 or 5w30 in mine but anyhow turn the ajuster on ur clutch lever all the way in then ajust ur pushrod on the clutch so theres like about a 1/8 to 1/4 play in the lever then put the case back on and ajust the lever from there? understand what i am saying

Im not a fan of the ebc clutches, had bad expereinces with them. You may be running the wronge oil or a oil that is to heavy. Is the oil designed for wet clutches? If not you need to drain it before you smoke your clutch. Also did you soak the fiber plated before you put it in? Get some oil that is designed for wet clutches if that stuff isnt.

Well the bottle of trany oil doesnt say anything about a wet clutch on it but it does say that it has "anti shear additives increase clutch life reducing slippage" so i would think it is for wet clutches....if not i am going to kill the guys at my local shop, they told me to get this over yamalube. I already put the case back on so i cant easily adjust the pressure plate, but what i did was put that middle screw all the way in then backed it out until it hit the pressure plate. I did not soak the fibers for any long amount of time, maybe 20 mins. Should i have done longer? Thanks

did you readjust your clutch cable after you installed the clutch? there should be free play in the handle, if not the clutch cable could be holding the springs back from putting full pressure on your clutch pack, making it slip. If you are unable to adjust it in with the cable you may have to pull the cover and adjust it on the pressure plate. good luck

i do have play in the cable but even with it adjusted as loose as it will go the bike wont creep, is that a bad thing? When you say 10w40 are you talking about regular motor oil? If i dont have to i dont want to crack the case again, will those rubber o rings be enough of a problem to take it all apart to get them out? Has anyone ever heard of using the Honda trany fluid sae 80w/85w?

Has anyone ever heard of using the Honda trany fluid sae 80w/85w?

Yes, I used to use that fluid but I found it to be to heavy and felt that it was robbing me of HP. I now use Castrol type F ATF. Much thinner and still coats the gears. Also a huge mony saver ($3 for atf $10 for Honda 80/85. Loco is right, the EBC clutches are junk. The instructions for the aftermarket clutches tell you NOT to reinstall the rubber rings. You need to remove them.

yes 10w30 reg motor oil also u should b ok pulling ur case back off it hasnt been on long so the gasket probly isn't stuck to it yet i have had mind apart two or 3 times with out changeing the gasket...

i do have play in the cable but even with it adjusted as loose as it will go the bike wont creep, is that a bad thing? When you say 10w40 are you talking about regular motor oil? If i dont have to i dont want to crack the case again, will those rubber o rings be enough of a problem to take it all apart to get them out? Has anyone ever heard of using the Honda trany fluid sae 80w/85w?

i use honda hp 80w 85 with no probs. its prolly not a tranny fluid issue. atf type f may be better tho. ill prolly try it when i change my fluid next.