What to replace on my clutch?

mofoka

Hey guys,

The clutch is dragging. I've adjusted it inside and out.

It is much better but still jumps a little, I can find neutral about twice a day, and going down a hill if I have the clutch fully disengaged the engine still revs to the speed I'm rolling at.

I was thinking about buying a pancake anyways and I figure I might have to change some parts while I'm in there.

The basket has little rub marks but it's smooth. The plates and fibres stick together (I don't know if that's normal) I'm afraid it might be from the last owner using 80w gear oil.

anyways... Do you think I need new inner or outer hubs, or new plates and fibres? Everything or nothing?

TNX AGAIN

You can buy new inner hub, pressure plate, Tusk clutch kit and a new clutch cable and be right around 100 bucks.

When in doubt.. replace it!

I priced it out and it put it all above 100. 100 would be nice for all of that... I'll have to price it again.

I'm hesitant to get the tusk clutch, is it as good as EBC or whatever name performance ones?

look to see if there groves wore in the basket . If there is you can use a file to take them out .if there not to bad .

You can see them, but I couldn't even feel the grooves in the basket. I figured it was fine.

Your steels and fibers definately should not stick together

I zip tied the clutch open and inspected the plates. (not really knowing what to look for except for damage) It took some effort with my finger nails to separate. I blew it off with the compressor and it made them a little better but still sticky like magnets.

Should they be loose? or what should I expect?

Pressure plate is about 15.00. Inner hub is about 25.00 clutch cable is 15-20 and tusk kit is 50. So it might be just a tad over 100.. but its close.

I've used Tusk kits in my 110+hp drag bike for the last few seasons.. no problems. Also use them in my 450, and in a few of my buddies bikes.. so far no problems..

To each their own.. Clutch kits are like oil.. Everyone has their preference.

Pressure plate is about 15.00. Inner hub is about 25.00 clutch cable is 15-20 and tusk kit is 50. So it might be just a tad over 100.. but its close.

I've used Tusk kits in my 110+hp drag bike for the last few seasons.. no problems. Also use them in my 450, and in a few of my buddies bikes.. so far no problems..

To each their own.. Clutch kits are like oil.. Everyone has their preference.

you got a lockout right? i dont think the clutch matters all that much when you have a lockout. i would run a tusk in mine since i have a lockout..

but, for people who dont have lockouts i would recommend the FAST clutch. i ran it for a long time before i ever had a lockout with no issues..

mo, i would stay away from the ebc and barnett clutch stuff.

buy a new factory pressure plate and inner hub. you can buy a billet basket for about 150 bucks.

i personally would call FAST and get everything you need. Jeff will have it all for great prices.

signed,

FAST nutswinger.

you got a lockout right? i dont think the clutch matters all that much when you have a lockout. i would run a tusk in mine since i have a lockout..

Correct.. my drag banshee does have a lockout.. but.. the other 4 of my quads that I put them in didn't.. built YFZ450, 2 Banshee, 1 semi-quasi built 660 Raptor and a built 250r.

and my pricing was a tad off on the inner hub. lol

FAST is a good place to call and get the clutch componets as he stocks most of them and you dont have to wait 2 weeks to get the parts from a dealer.

i personally would call FAST and get everything you need. Jeff will have it all for great prices.

signed,

FAST nutswinger.

That was a nice touch.

I'll probably be calling him up with a list within the next week or two.

Man..... :sad: ....... I must be completely behind.......when did 80 wt gear oil become such a bad thing to run??? :confused:

I just threw that in because I've heard that certain oils can wreck the fibres and I didn't like much of what the last owner was doing with it.... Really fishing to see what people think about the pads being stuck together

Anyone know about the grabby clutch?

That was a nice touch.

I'll probably be calling him up with a list within the next week or two.

I just threw that in because I've heard that certain oils can wreck the fibres and I didn't like much of what the last owner was doing with it.... Really fishing to see what people think about the pads being stuck together

Anyone know about the grabby clutch?

The only thing you can do is take the clutch apart and inspect it.. it could be MANY different things.. Dont forget to check the ball and rod.