stiff clutch

scott4unc

I just purchased a used 99 banshee, and it has a very stiff clutch, at first I thought it would be okay but after a few hours of riding I have discovered it is way to stiff for my likings, could this be a problem of some sort, or what could I do to change this?

get a new clutch kit and billet basket.

is it stiff like, for example, when you are 1st, and want to take off, if you let go it, it does not let go smoothly? and it gets stuck etc, feels as if you got rusted wires?

is it stiff like, for example, when you are 1st, and want to take off, if you let go it, it does not let go smoothly? and it gets stuck etc, feels as if you got rusted wires?

I guess I would say feels more like rusted wires, it is really tight, especially after I rode my Raptor, there is a huge difference

I guess I would say feels more like rusted wires, it is really tight, especially after I rode my Raptor, there is a huge difference

so its just tight, but its smooth though? its not like, (how am i gonna explain this) it does not like let go at differnet strengths or feel bad or get stuck.

so its smooth but just tight, and when you let go its relatively smooth? if so its just rusted wires or bad springs

it would be better to go with a new clutch kit, knowing its a 99 model ( 10 years old), and still running that stock clutch :)

Edited by blaster2006

so its just tight, but its smooth though? its not like, (how am i gonna explain this) it does not like let go at differnet strengths or feel bad or get stuck.

so its smooth but just tight, and when you let go its relatively smooth? if so its just rusted wires or bad springs

it would be better to go with a new clutch kit, knowing its a 99 model ( 10 years old), and still running that stock clutch :)

being 10yrs old.. its a pretty good chance it already has a aftermarket clutch in it... which could lead to the stiff clutch pull seeing how most kits come with HD springs. Bad springs would make the clutch pull easier.. They loose tension as they get older.. they dont gain tension.

Change the cable.... (9 times out of 10 this is the problem)

If that dont clear it up.. My money is on that it has 6 HD springs in it.. So either get stock springs again.. or buy a new easy pull clutch perch.

Please,.. he has no idea whats in there, so how could you? Don't be leading these new guys astrae!

I mean yea, Its all kind of a guessing game untill we have more facts, but for you to tell him he needs an all new clutch. Thats a little exstreme, dont you think? I really think you need to study up some more before you give anymore "jump the gun" advice here.

WOW, nobody recommended LUBING the cable. Even new cables come dry!

Thanks for everyones input, I think I will start with a new cable.

Here is what I know about this machine

Its a 99 model, has full belly pan, skid plate, and a-arm guards, FMF power core 2, ITP wheels and holeshots, boost bottle, Steering stabalizer, K&N filter, and Works shocks front and rear. I picked this machine up from a motorcycle shop for $2200.00. I know when it was traded in they were having problems with changing gears, they replaced some parts and told me if it happened again to call them.

I took it out yesterday and ran it pretty hard on a track and did notice that when I stopped it was smoking heavily from the left pipe and hardly any from the right pipe, should this be a concern?

And just so you know I have owned a banshee before, bought a brand new one in 97 and only kept it for 6-8 months and traded in on a dirt bike, and since I have been riding a Raptor, bought a new 660 in March of 2002, but its just not the same as a banshee

LOL wow i guess i better get a billet clutch basket also because mine is stiff as hell.

If someone put stiffer springs in your clutch then it is going to be hard to pull but if you pull them out and put the stock ones back in it and you have a little extra power you stand a chance of burning your clutch up and you dont want to do that. Try lubing the cable or just pull it off and see how well it moves. If it moves good then you have stiffer springs in it and an easy pull lever or a hydualic clutch is your cure.

I'm voting for HD springs...Chances are pretty good as mentioned above that on a 10 year old bike that had problems shifting, the person before you opted to replace with a new clutch and prolly went with the heavy duty version. If it were me, I would drain the oil in the case and pull the side case off to get a closer look...When installing a HD clutch, it is necessary to remove the rubber o-rings that lie between each of the fiber and steel discs. Look for these and if they are missing (which they should be with a HD clutch) the clutch won't be stock. Then attempt to take one of the springs out by unscrewing the retainer screw that holds it in place...hold the spring in your fingers and squeeze it, if it is pretty difficult to compress it with your fingers then you've got you answer! It's a heavy duty clutch all right.

Of course lubing your cable is something you want to do as well, prolly every season or so...But I'm betting that your clutch is HD which means there really is no fix...thats just how they are. You'll get used to it pretty quick and prolly won't want to go back...

My wife's clutch is stock and mine is a HD and when I jump on her bike after riding mine it's the equivilant of getting out of my cobra and driving a civic...