421 tire and gearing suggestions

zachass9

Into yet another build. I am building a new bike, it is a stock frame with a +4 swing arm and a 421 cheetah motor that is currently being ported and worked by Jim at Passion. I am not a drag racer. This is a very aggressive dune bike that happens to see a little time on the drag strip at Waynoka!! I am interested in gearing and tires, please help. We are shooting for about 100 horses maybe a few more!! Prior to the work by Jim, I was running 13 42 gearing and still couldnt start in 2nd at the strip. I was running 22x11x8 10 paddle extremes, this set up was great everywhere else. Any opinions on gearing and tires post porting would be greatly appreciated. Ultralites? size? paddles? gearing? Please help me out if you have time. Thanks

Into yet another build. I am building a new bike, it is a stock frame with a +4 swing arm and a 421 cheetah motor that is currently being ported and worked by Jim at Passion. I am not a drag racer. This is a very aggressive dune bike that happens to see a little time on the drag strip at Waynoka!! I am interested in gearing and tires, please help. We are shooting for about 100 horses maybe a few more!! Prior to the work by Jim, I was running 13 42 gearing and still couldnt start in 2nd at the strip. I was running 22x11x8 10 paddle extremes, this set up was great everywhere else. Any opinions on gearing and tires post porting would be greatly appreciated. Ultralites? size? paddles? gearing? Please help me out if you have time. Thanks

I'd go up a couple teeth in the front, and try the 10 pdls before buying new tires. You've just got a plus +4 swingarm. How much do you weigh?

For drag racing, I'd have a different reccomendation, but you're not interested in that.

I am about 210 lbs!! I spend half my time on the drag strip and half on the open dunes!! I am open to all input!! I dont wanna lose my sleeper status, or my rideability!! LOL that is why I stuck with the +4 I love riding wheelies and playing on the sides of dunes. I am open to all suggestions!!

??? plus 4 and u couldnt pull 2nd?

my f.a.s.t. drag ported cub will spin the tires in 2nd, but thats with a +10 swing and 12 paddle extremes.

id fig with a +4 it would stand it strait up .... no spin

i run 15-41 , just ordered a 43

When I launch in first, I am reaching for 2nd before I am even out of the hole. If I launch in 2nd, I have to wind it up tight as hell and feather the clutch sometimes if it bogs. The problem is when I do that, it comes straight up everytime. All these scenerios are before Jim has the motor. I am just preparing for when I get it back. Before this it was a Trinity stage 4 kit, which I havent heard very many good things about!! I am confident that when I get it back from Jim it will make way better power. It is just weird, because people talk about more paddle, more bite off the line and less topend. Prior to the work, this bike would pull crazy on topend, but I cant seen to get outta the hole. Hell maybe I just cant ride worth a shit!! N E WAYZ, still open to opinions. Lay em on me!!

You must have some jetting issues or something if it won't pull that gearing at LS. The sand is pretty soft and deep but with those tires it should have spun them easily IMO. I run a 13/42 gearing, maybe 13/41 not completely sure with a 421 cub and 10 paddle haulers, +6 swingarm. I haven't had the cub at LS yet but the other sand I have ridden it in it spins through most all of 1-2-3, granted I only weigh 145ish lbs. too. I would ask Jim what he recommends, he's doing the motor and he has plenty of experience to get you on the right track.

Jetting is dead on! I did multiple plug chops and the bike pulls like a train!! The bike runs great everywhere, my understanding is the longer swingers actually reduce traction, but keep the front end down due to additional length. I think the weight issue is the major difference, plus the extremes pull a little harder from my understanding too!! This motor handles most cubs easily, I am just trying to workout the finer details. I may be having some clutch problems, do you think the clutch may be slipping, time for a lock up maybe? Thanks for the input! Guess we will see in a few months when it is all back together.

Jetting is dead on! I did multiple plug chops and the bike pulls like a train!! The bike runs great everywhere, my understanding is the longer swingers actually reduce traction, but keep the front end down due to additional length. I think the weight issue is the major difference, plus the extremes pull a little harder from my understanding too!! This motor handles most cubs easily, I am just trying to workout the finer details. I may be having some clutch problems, do you think the clutch may be slipping, time for a lock up maybe? Thanks for the input! Guess we will see in a few months when it is all back together.

Yes you will probably want a lock-out. I have one on my cub and no override and it is still VERY rideable, contrary to what alot of people say. I also have a +6 swinger and just regular haulers. You gonna be at LS at the end of march, 18-22 or w/e it is? Maybe I could let you try my 10 paddle reg. haulers and see if it'll launch in 2nd, it's worth a try, alot easier to try free stuff than buy it if you don't know if it'll work.

I will be there!! I havent even got the motor back from the builder!! I am sure it will pull em fine after Jim gets finished with it!! I talked to him today and he told me I will be able to pull 2nd easy, and that I will even need to go back up to a 14 if not a 15 after I get it back this weekend!! Stay in touch, I would definataly like some new riding partners!! LOL I also have a pair of 25x12x9 12 paddle haulers!! Jim told me to run those on the strip, prolly not gonna explore that tho!!!

I will be there!! I havent even got the motor back from the builder!! I am sure it will pull em fine after Jim gets finished with it!! I talked to him today and he told me I will be able to pull 2nd easy, and that I will even need to go back up to a 14 if not a 15 after I get it back this weekend!! Stay in touch, I would definataly like some new riding partners!! LOL I also have a pair of 25x12x9 12 paddle haulers!! Jim told me to run those on the strip, prolly not gonna explore that tho!!!

I'll be there with a pretty big group, we'll have to do some racin sounds like we've got similar setups. 12 paddles would definitely be interesting with a +4 arm though...

I'd go up a couple teeth in the front, and try the 10 pdls before buying new tires. You've just got a plus +4 swingarm. How much do you weigh?

For drag racing, I'd have a different reccomendation, but you're not interested in that.

Word.

10 paddle SLS's are the way to go. :thumbsup:

I have the same questions but i have a 4 mill with port job a stock bore and i can't launch in 2nd i have a +6 swingarm with 10 paddle superlights 22x10x8 in first gear i stand straight up and second bogs i am running 13, 42 gearing. i want to launch in second all other bikes get me on launch but i always get them on around half way. what gearing should i run. jetting is dot on??? any help would be appreciated.

i'd wait till you get the motor back from jim. try what jim recommends. also you should most deffinately get a lockup on that thing if you did'nt already. with your weight you might do a bit better with

a +6 or +8 swingarm. i think your gonna notice a big difference when you get it back and get it tuned and running.