Stock Swinger on 421 Cub...Crazy?

j_rod421

get u swing arm from the swingarm shop... ebay.

atleast a +6... prob more like +8-10

what tires do u have ??

I have an HJR 421 Cub with aggressive dune port :thumbsup: I ran it one trip with stock swinger...it was fun...but unable to use more than 1/4 the power! Went with a swingarm shop +6. I can now use all the power for duning but the front still comes up at will in any gear...just more controlable...if you plan on dragging a lot...go with at least a +8"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

i have a friend on here. look him up...vegasjeff. he weighs 180 lbs...his bike is a 421 cheetah cub with in frames, 35mm carbs, straightcut gears, lockup clutch, blah blah blah... his bike is producing 84 horse on the dyno. he has the sheet to prove it. he runs 21 inch 8 paddle extremes and he runs a stock swinger. he has gotten the hang of it well and he races that bike all day everytime we head to dumont or amargosa sand dunes. he destroys people, even a few that have longer swingarms. people always come up to him and ask him what he has and cant believe that he was hanging with them or even beating them with a stock swingarm.

I have an HJR 421 Cub with aggressive dune port :thumbsup: I ran it one trip with stock swinger...it was fun...but unable to use more than 1/4 the power! Went with a swingarm shop +6. I can now use all the power for duning but the front still comes up at will in any gear...just more controlable...if you plan on dragging a lot...go with at least a +8"

sup fran.yeah i rode this banshee when i was out visiting the hjr crew.it was alot of fun with the stock swinger but on oldsmobile hill its nice to have alil longer swinger.lol

i have a friend on here. look him up...vegasjeff. he weighs 180 lbs...his bike is a 421 cheetah cub with in frames, 35mm carbs, straightcut gears, lockup clutch, blah blah blah... his bike is producing 84 horse on the dyno. he has the sheet to prove it. he runs 21 inch 8 paddle extremes and he runs a stock swinger. he has gotten the hang of it well and he races that bike all day everytime we head to dumont or amargosa sand dunes. he destroys people, even a few that have longer swingarms. people always come up to him and ask him what he has and cant believe that he was hanging with them or even beating them with a stock swingarm.

84hp isn't very much power for 421............. I suspect most people could deal with a stock swingarm at that power level. :ermm:

84hp isn't very much power for 421............. I suspect most people could deal with a stock swingarm at that power level. :ermm:

This the same guy who just said that the dynojet dyno is not accurate? well thats the one I used,so dont hate the player,hate the game! :biggrin:

This the same guy who just said that the dynojet dyno is not accurate? well thats the one I used,so dont hate the player,hate the game! :biggrin:

A Dyno Jet is a better tuning tool than just sitting on a bike and feeling it with your ass for sure. Dyno Jets generally have the worst repeatability in the industry, but they are also the least expensive. The point I have been trying to make with dynos all along, is that unless you break into the higher cost dyno market, and dyno print out is only worth the paper it's printed on, and it may not be worth that if the dyno operator/tech. is not the most experienced individual. When you have folks posting power numbers as a measure of achievement, it's all relative. I could run one of my bike on 3 different Dyno Jets and get three dramatically different numbers. There really isn't any way to tell which is more accurate............ and I have seen several Dyno Jets cough up wildly different numbers for the same bike on different days.

Accuracy is a completely different deal and is really subject to more than just the dyno and it's calibration. I could jabber on for hours about that. :biggrin:

There are only a few real quality ATV specific dynos installed out there........ Number off other stuff is generally just conversation material when comparing different folk's engine work.

A Dyno Jet is a better tuning tool than just sitting on a bike and feeling it with your ass for sure. Dyno Jets generally have the worst repeatability in the industry, but they are also the least expensive. The point I have been trying to make with dynos all along, is that unless you break into the higher cost dyno market, and dyno print out is only worth the paper it's printed on, and it may not be worth that if the dyno operator/tech. is not the most experienced individual. When you have folks posting power numbers as a measure of achievement, it's all relative. I could run one of my bike on 3 different Dyno Jets and get three dramatically different numbers. There really isn't any way to tell which is more accurate............ and I have seen several Dyno Jets cough up wildly different numbers for the same bike on different days.

Accuracy is a completely different deal and is really subject to more than just the dyno and it's calibration. I could jabber on for hours about that. :biggrin:

There are only a few real quality ATV specific dynos installed out there........ Number off other stuff is generally just conversation material when comparing different folk's engine work.

Your exactly right! I had my doubts on the numbers I received as well, but its all good cause my bike is a HJR drag ported cub and its fast enough for me :biggrin:

where did/do you take your bikes to get tuned firehead? cascade? thinkin about gettin my bike dyno tuned.

thanks

I had that on my cub with stock carbs and T5 pipes....

It's not a matter of how good you can ride, it's a matter of being able to use the power the engine puts out and limitations due to a stock swingarm, period.

Anybody else notice this was from last year....