HOW do you break your tire beads?

i use one of those folding lever style bead breakers that i bought from jc whitney like 15 years ago.paid $30.00 for it new and still works as good as it did the day i bought it.doesnt require any hammering or beating at all,can bust the bead on a tire with one hand, very easy to use.i looked at the jc whitney site and they still sell them.lite enough to use it portable as well.

I tried all these methods when I did my rears and nothing worked

Took them to the local tire place and 10 minutes and $5 later I left with my new tires mounted

I will try and post some pics of the bead breaker i built later today. If you can weld at all it is easy to build and kind of fun to do your own. The one i built work really well and it light i just throw it in my toy hauler every time we head out.

This is crazy! I bought a tire changer and it won't break the bead. My tire changer is awesome at breaking car tire beads and motorcycle beads but my Banshee wheel beads, forget it! I've even resorted to some hillbilly methods such as driving my truck over the sidewall and jacking up the truck and lowering down the hitch on the bead. Nothing I try even budges the bead. I did get my back tires off with a lot of work with my tire changer but these fronts are stuck forever unless someone can help.

I know I could take it to a tire shop, but I want a do it yourself method so I can change them at home.

Here's the easy way to do. Takes about 15 seconds to do both sides.

100_0570-1.jpg

PA-Matt, I have a breaker like that i made but it is steel, did you make that one or buy it somewhere it is sweet being aluminum....
No. It's steel. I made it about 3 years ago. Looked rusty so I chrome in a can'd it. :biggrin:

take some advise from someone that has built one make it fully adjustable, to accept more that 10x10 wheels...makes a big difference...

Yep. I made mine adjustable. I've even done car tires with it. Best part is I made it from my scrap pile.