case porting

tonyown

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bansheecasesstuffed.jpg

Hum I don't understand why u use JB weld???

You put the JB weld in the blue area at an angle this makes the area less in the case which forces the air fuel mixture up through the transfers better when the piston comes down and it also directs the air fuel charge up to the bottom of the tranfers on the cylinders better.You do this on both sides and you have to be sure and leave the holes for the oil to the bearings.

2001 once AGAIN i appologise I was just trying to be a smartass and rib you a little, you seem like you know enough about banshees from what I read, it was not meant to bash you....

Fire how many times have you used JB weld to fill in the case? Have you ever had it come off? I would be a little scared that it could come off and do some serious dammage just wondering? anybody ever seen filler of any type come off in this situation?

Before:

porting001.jpg

before I finnish shaping around the lube holes

porting010.jpg

2001 once AGAIN i appologise I was just trying to be a smartass and rib you a little, you seem like you know enough about banshees from what I read, it was not meant to bash you....

Fire how many times have you used JB weld to fill in the case? Have you ever had it come off? I would be a little scared that it could come off and do some serious dammage just wondering? anybody ever seen filler of any type come off in this situation?

Before:

porting001.jpg

before I finnish shaping around the lube holes

porting010.jpg

I am not going to lie there is a chance of the filler coming out,but you can lesson that chance if you prepare the surface properly and there might be some different types of epoxys out there that could work better i used JB weld.I have not had any come off yet on my motors,i drilled little tiny holes on the surface were the filler was going but not all the way through i just made a bunch of little divets for the filler to adhere to,and made sure the surface is really clean.

I probably wouldnt do this to a motor that i didnt plan on having apart once in awhile,or a play bike that i wasnt trying to hot rod.

Looks like you did a good job porting your cases :cool:

doesnt jb weld melt with gas .. the jb weld i used i put it on a pieces of aluminum and let it curr for 4 days put it in gas over night and it would peal off.. i was going to use it till i found this out..

I haven't had a problem yet, i have done this with my gas motors and my alky motors,i also use it to fill in low spots in the intake side of cylinders i never use it on the exhaust side,i am not saying it CANT come off.

I am by no means trying to imply that i am some motor builder i just do my owm stuff to my own bikes i am a truck and auto mechanic by trade but just work on my bikes for a hobby.

fusor products, or lord adhesives. lord has been around for a while, and fusor id down right unbeliveable. you do have to go through the product sheets and find the EXACTone you need. ie. don't get pannel adhesive(it may hold 50,000 psi tensil, but it's not a filler.) look where they sell professional paint products. prolly just have it mag welded, and feel good about it. as for the die grinder, get at least 1/3 hp and i pref. pneumatic. if you have trouble feathering it right, just shove an earplug under the trigger and turn the air down to the fastest you want to go.

I haven't had a problem yet, i have done this with my gas motors and my alky motors,i also use it to fill in low spots in the intake side of cylinders i never use it on the exhaust side,i am not saying it CANT come off.

I am by no means trying to imply that i am some motor builder i just do my owm stuff to my own bikes i am a truck and auto mechanic by trade but just work on my bikes for a hobby.

preperation, preporation, preporation! oh...and did i mention preporation? the surface must be completely clean, scuffed, clean, and dry. it can't just look clean, it has to be clean. you can't half-ass mixing it either. i've seen jb-weld misused more often than duct tape. it has to make a good bond with the metal. i rarely use the stuff, but always keep it around. it's a product that you have to have well founded confidence in, not blind trust. i've used it to replace threads in cast iron blocks, aluminum head, worn seal surface, tranny case crack, cam journal, list goes on. only because customer doesn't want to shell out to do it right, but has always held. bottom line, if you don't hink it will work, it won't.

p.s. some cleaners leave a residue

Edited by AKheathen

Fire, thanks for the props on the cases I have done a few sets allready and done some tansfer work also, I am learning from a friend in the busniess more about intake and exhaust porting to match what I allready do. I am not a port for a job guy I only do mostly clean-up work and work for friends porting is a hobbie of mine and that is IT. (I do not want to get ate up like that mopar guy). I got the case finnished and will take some pics. to show how it turned out along with the transfers on the cyclenders.

Fire, thanks for the props on the cases I have done a few sets allready and done some tansfer work also, I am learning from a friend in the busniess more about intake and exhaust porting to match what I allready do. I am not a port for a job guy I only do mostly clean-up work and work for friends porting is a hobbie of mine and that is IT. (I do not want to get ate up like that mopar guy). I got the case finnished and will take some pics. to show how it turned out along with the transfers on the cyclenders.

I also do alot of porting and expiermenting,but on my own stuff, and i also have redline racing do some work for me.I like to do it for a hobby.Are you going to raise the transfers or the exhaust ports.Are you going for a dune drag port or trail riding.I have had good luck with raising the exhaust up to 99mil if you measure from the bottom of the cylinder up to the top of the exhaust port,by the bottom i mean were the liner hangs out of the bottom of the cylinder the farthest part that sticks out,its about 2mils that you raise the port and you don't want the exhaust port ceiling to go staight across you want some arc to it and i also widen it out up at the top like an upside down trapizoid.I also like to raise the transfer ports about 2mils. and add aux. boost ports. This has worked good for me with a stock stroke and stock cylinders for an agressive dune port and some racing at the dunes.This has worked well for me and if any one tries it it's at there own risk.I AM NOT a professional cylinder porter or a 2 stroke motor builder. I have done this to MY bikes only and would not even cosider porting any one elses.I know there is alot about porting that i don't know.When i get serious about going fast i send it to the pros.

Good luck and have fun doing it.You cant go wrong by doing a good clean up port.

Better prep work.

If you don't want to use JB Weld, get some Moroso A&B Epoxy. It's what we use to fill trenched cases...

But we've used JB Weld for power jets in gas and methanol carbs without issue.

it was prepped right it just might have not been 50/50 i will have to try some of the names that were presented later in this post ..