Cheap Bitchin' LED Taillight Mod!

jayzx10r

You know those '70's tail lights are Ugly. Not to mention, they draw something like 5 watts.

Go to the trailer parts section at Walmart and grab the smallest (they have 3 different sizes) LED side marker they have.

The one I used was $6.97, has 2 mounting holes...one on each side and 2 LEDs.

I cut off the mounting tabs from each side, leaving a waterproof 2 LED red housing that measures 1" x 5/8" after I slimmed it down.

Hotglued it to the CDI and it's friggin perfect!! Really bright and it draws 0.3 watts!! :thumbsup:

It cleaned up the back end really well and it's so far up underneath, you don't even see it until it's on!!

For a finishing touch, I blacked out the top, bottom, and sides so it only projects to the rear.

Check it. It's way brighter than my POS camera picks up. I'd say it's brighter than stock.

20081125163232aaoj4.jpg

20081125163345aazd9.jpg

Here is the Led set-up I went with..

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/RIP...nt=DSC00294.jpg

I like it cause its pretty small, simple, clean, and modern. I dig yours to though Jay. Good to see different shit.. I just really not a fan of the large "in your face" tailights some put on.. I like how you cant really see them tucked up under the plastic till its night and they are on.. Mine costs about 9 dollars and I use like marine adheasive to hold it on... They don't take a huge beating so I usualy have to replace it one or twice a year(depends on how hard Iam beating on the bike).. Which i could understand some wouldn't want to put up with or pay to replace but has worked out pretty well.. Again, nice setup Jay..

RIPPEN

rippen where did you get your light from?

Actually man Ill have to ask my buddy.. He used to work at a car performance shop and used to order them for me.. Cant remember the maker.. Ill let you know in the next day or so after I talk to him.. Like I said though I think they are right around 10 bucks or so..

RIPPEN

the reason they are breaking is because they are not rubber mounted they must have vibration insulation or they break. you guys that are glueing them solid they will always stop working. and its usually when you need it the most ( night ride at a dune area that requires a light..)

the reason they are breaking is because they are not rubber mounted they must have vibration insulation or they break. you guys that are glueing them solid they will always stop working. and its usually when you need it the most ( night ride at a dune area that requires a light..)

Um actually thats partly true but not totally.. The glue I use, I use quite a bit and its similar to sylicone rather than just a glue so in a sense its like its on rubber.. And furthermore I don't think its the vibration that tears them up as much as my pogo stick over the woops..lol Like I said, mine hold up ok but do fail after a while.. Then again I cant really be that upset about it as I said its pretty cheap and also wasn't really made for the aplication Iam using it on..

RIPPEN

I like it cause its pretty small, simple, clean, and modern. I dig yours to though Jay. Good to see different shit.. I just really not a fan of the large "in your face" tailights some put on.. I like how you cant really see them tucked up under the plastic till its night and they are on.. Mine costs about 9 dollars and I use like marine adheasive to hold it on... They don't take a huge beating so I usualy have to replace it one or twice a year(depends on how hard Iam beating on the bike).. Which i could understand some wouldn't want to put up with or pay to replace but has worked out pretty well.. Again, nice setup Jay..

RIPPEN

I agree with you....I'm not a fan of the large tail lights either. Head lights, now that's a different matter!! :cool:

Thanks for the props. I didn't notice the crappy glue job the camera picked up but I cleaned it up.

Your setup looks great too. Confidence is high in that if my local auto parts store had those in stock one would be mounted on my quad.... :thumbsup:

Edited by jayzx750

Here's an option, may not be in the price range you guys are looking for though.

Now thats pretty trick.. Havn't seen one like that before.. Iam guessing your right at somethin like that is more than I wanna spend but curious as to how much it did run you?

Again, thats pretty slick..

RIPPEN

Now thats pretty trick.. Havn't seen one like that before.. Iam guessing your right at somethin like that is more than I wanna spend but curious as to how much it did run you?

Again, thats pretty slick..

RIPPEN

I make them out of my garage, $150 tripple plated chrome, includes shipping.

I make them out of my garage, $150 tripple plated chrome, includes shipping.

No shit huh... Thats cool man.. Iam looking forward to seeing one in person here this spring..

150 is to rich for my blood but there are plenty of guys out there that it probably isn't..

Impressive man.. :thumbsup:

RIPPEN