Leaving boost bottle ports open to suck more air in?

Badapwned

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not thinking of doing it, yet posted on a forum wondering what would happen????? I smell BS. :biggrin:

The give away that you are serious is that you refer to adding bigger jets or piping back to the filter or something. I think you know the answer by now. Not really a good idea. ALL air that enters an engine must be throttled or metered in some way and fuel added.

Sounds like you answered your own question....

If I would have given it a serious thought, it would have been a better idea with more of a description.....correct?

If everyone is so convinced I was being dead serious, heres my best thought.

Adding adjustable venturi's to the openings to regulate air velocity, sort of like the old old carburetors. While having a fuel opening next to the venutri, when the pressure drop across the opening lowers, it sucks fuel in. The same way a real carb works. Essentially you have 4 carbs.

A motor's power is only measured by how much air / fuel it can flow through in a pre-determined amount of time.

The more air and fuel, the more power.

There is my serious thought.

Or I have a novel idea that may endure a more tedious though process to accomodate this modification for more air/fuel mixture.... now do this carefully step by step slowly because this can be confusing. I dont know if anyone has attempted such a feat, but here is my grand idea,... hopefully it works.........

Step 1.

Take the old smaller carbs off

Step 2.

Put bigger carbs on.

Or I have a novel idea that may endure a more tedious though process to accomodate this modification for more air/fuel mixture.... now do this carefully step by step slowly because this can be confusing. I dont know if anyone has attempted such a feat, but here is my grand idea,... hopefully it works.........

Step 1.

Take the old smaller carbs off

Step 2.

Put bigger carbs on.

Sounds like a good idea to me. :biggrin:

I was not trying to be insulting at all man. Just having a little fun. Sounds like you have a damn good life already going for you. And you sound intelligent. Why post something that you knew was going to get hammered? By the way, by the time I was your age, I was already 1 year into a divorce and filed for bankruptcy. So your not doing bad at all.

Now, back to the original post.

I say throw some nitrous jets in there. :evil:

bada, do u live in NJ!?

you look almost EXACTLY like a kid that went to my highschool

Sorry bud, only been to NJ for sales calls. I live in MI.

So, I hope by now everyone has got it out their system. Im ready to move on...........to the next crazy question!!!!!!!

BTW, I have tried this next idea.

Putting an electric fan after the air filter to reduce pressure drop across the filter media. I guess essentially increasing air flow?

I was throwing away some old computer stuff and I found this electric fan off an old CPU cooler. I took it off and mounted it after the air filter on my old KDX200. I wired it up to a battery and let the fan rip it up.....lol

Basis:

Well, a lot of computer fans can push up to several inches of water column. (there's approximately 27 IN WC in one PSI)

So it would be a like an uber weak electric supercharger.

The only thing I may have noticed was a minor increase in maximum RPM. Not sure though, this was like 6 years ago.

Wuch ya guys think?

I would ask that you grab some physics books to answer your question. Electric PC fans will do nothing but rob of of HP. How much air do you need your run your engine and at what pressure??? Once you learn that one, you will quickly figure out how much electric power is needed to do much.

power in = power out, start with that.

B

lol, can you point to a MPH calculator?

Or some formula to determine a maximum speed on a banshee?

I got 20" tires in the back, and im assuming stock gearing.

Full throttle for 5 - 10 seconds in deep dirt, in 6th left me at 70 mph.

I want to gear it down to 60 MPH, so my bottom end is quicker?

Any advice?

Again, im assuming I have stock gearing

I would ask that you grab some physics books to answer your question. Electric PC fans will do nothing but rob of of HP. How much air do you need your run your engine and at what pressure??? Once you learn that one, you will quickly figure out how much electric power is needed to do much.

power in = power out, start with that.

B

I completely agree. I forgot to add it was an external power source. The battery pack was not related to the engine.

I completely agree. I forgot to add it was an external power source. The battery pack was not related to the engine.

hrmm, doing some quick math, correct me if im wrong.....

350 cc's @ 6,000 RPM = 74.16 CFM

Sooo, this fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811999122

would have more then enough airflow then required for a stock bore and stroke banshee.....

Correct?

Wait a minute, im not sure what the max RPM is on a banshee. I would have to assume its more then 6,000 RPM.

Edited by Badapwned

hrmm, doing some quick math, correct me if im wrong.....

350 cc's @ 6,000 RPM = 74.16 CFM

Sooo, this fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811999122

would have more then enough airflow then required for a stock bore and stroke banshee.....

Correct?

Wait a minute, im not sure what the max RPM is on a banshee. I would have to assume its more then 6,000 RPM.

And you are boosting to what?? atmosphere? what are your calculations again? what is boost pressure of your fans? how much power? A pc fan will do what when it gets debris in it?

Save the coin and just port your engine. I don't have time to do the math for you but I can assure you it will not work. Sorry. Been there, explored that. About 10 yrs ago....

B

i think it could work with the right math jets and so forth .... if u put the fan in the air box lid b4 the filter so your not sucking dirt into your motor idk but they make small electric fans for the intakes on cars to act as a small turbo so im sure with a lot of math and time it would work but its probly easyer to just port

This is the second great idea you've come up with to seize a 2-stroke motor. :blink:

If you pressurize an intake tract in a carburetor, you MUST pressurize the float bowl as well to equalize the pressure or fuel cannot be drawn by the venturi. An unequalized carb would actually push air down through the main jet orifice into the float bowl.

No fuel, no oil>>>BOOM!!

Also, the output of the fan would have to be variable to meet the draw demand of the motor or it would have a greater effect at idle v.s. WOT.. But then again, you are only talking about a fraction of 1 PSI, so none of this actually really matters.

I'd think the restriction of the fan itself would be detrimental as would the interrupted airflow and inherent turbulence it's presence would create. The mass of the central core of the fan blade/motor assembly would reduce the size of the intake pathway by 40% easily.

It would make a nice plug though.....

I'm sure this is just another joke.....or should be!!

Welcome to the HQ!!

Edited by jayzx750