flywheel shaving

bellracing2

I had "boonman" on here do a couple for me. Haven't seen him around lately, though.

Do you run them on your drag motors? What about the inertia to help get the bike moving without slowing the crank down? Has anyone tested it back to back to notice the difference on HP or ET? I am thinking about having mine done but would like to know the advantages and dis-advantages.

i dont think you have to balance it as long as you use a dial indicator when you set it up in the lathe .i did my own and had no problems with it

How much are you guys taking off, I can get stuff done for free at the local machine shop, But they know nothing about banshees, so their not sure how much to take off. I have a spare flywheel that i would like to get done, So does anyone have any measurements or anything like that I can give to them?

4.900" finish O.D. on each side of the trigger. Another .040" can be faced off the front also. I have not seen or heard of any problems with this and it loses apx. 9 ounces right off the end of the crank. :biggrin: :biggrin: Slight but very noticable difference. See if they will balance it also... I hate to keep harping on the balancing thing... But it really should at least be checked.

4.900" finish O.D. on each side of the trigger. Another .040" can be faced off the front also. I have not seen or heard of any problems with this and it loses apx. 9 ounces right off the end of the crank. :biggrin: :biggrin: Slight but very noticable difference. See if they will balance it also... I hate to keep harping on the balancing thing... But it really should at least be checked.

Pics please from someone's who is shaved, and someones who's is stock? (If anybody has pics.)

i dont think you have to balance it as long as you use a dial indicator when you set it up in the lathe .i did my own and had no problems with it

The proper way to trun down a flywheel is to mount a crankshaft stub in the lathe and then mount the fly wheel on the crank stub. Other wise you run the risk of not getting it even.

Do you run them on your drag motors? What about the inertia to help get the bike moving without slowing the crank down? Has anyone tested it back to back to notice the difference on HP or ET? I am thinking about having mine done but would like to know the advantages and dis-advantages.

I don't have a lightened flywheel on my biggest motor, but I bought it that way and just left it. I run lightened flywheels or pvls on all others, and may change to a pvl on the cheetah. On my 4 mil Cub, I can always leave hard in second and it never bogs. That is the potential problem (so I've heard) when you take weight off of the flywheel or run a pvl.....it's difficult to get it to leave in second without bogging or making a gearing change.