Still having hard starting issues, Stator?

regalrocket

Well after chasing my tail, I am still having hard starting issues, or should I say no start without excessive priming. I rebuilt the carbs, set the float height running, put a new top end on it, and still nothing. Today I pulled the stator cover off and all sorts of nasty water ran out. The stator is pretty rusty, ok, its very rusty. How much will rust effect the stator. I am pretty sure that it can't help at all. Has anyone had a rusty stator cause hard starting, but once running its perfect, replaced the stator and had it start perfectly? Thanks.

Well after chasing my tail, I am still having hard starting issues, or should I say no start without excessive priming. I rebuilt the carbs, set the float height running, put a new top end on it, and still nothing. Today I pulled the stator cover off and all sorts of nasty water ran out. The stator is pretty rusty, ok, its very rusty. How much will rust effect the stator. I am pretty sure that it can't help at all. Has anyone had a rusty stator cause hard starting, but once running its perfect, replaced the stator and had it start perfectly? Thanks.

clean all that rust out re-gap the pick-up coil ........all that rust is going to give you a weak spark...

I feel like a total dumby for not pulling this earlier. I did all that work, and I think I found the issue. Can you believe that this machine when it got running, would idle nd pick the front end up? go figure. The cover is ok, but I think it got in from the wiring hole. Once I get the new one, I am going to coat the interior with a thin corrosion inhibiter, and then seal it up with some good gasket sealant.