100 miles desert - how many gallons of fuel?

prossett

This Friday I'm off on a 100-mile trip over sand dunes, from Al Ain to Abu Dhabi in the Emirates. with a convoy of buddies in cars.

To reach destination it's 60 miles (it's 60 miles as the crow flies, so make it 100 to follow the terrain and with a little extra built-in)

My quad is de-tuned to stock airbox and pipes, and jet down to 190. I will ride conservatively, going for distance. My buddies will carry my gear.

I have a 5 gallon tank, plus 2 gallons spare on the back - my question is:

Do you reckon I can cover 100 miles on 7 gallons of gas?

Edited by prossett

I dont think the bike will actually burn that much, but over rough terrain the stock carbs will drip and leak a bunch of fuel out of the little overflow vents on each side. If you look at a pic of say, a Kehin 35mm Airstryker, see how the vent hoses go from one side over the top to the other? Do that with your carbs, and that will eliminate the fuel loss, and leave more to burn!

i think with 8gl you could make it but 7 might be pushing it. But with the stock setup and conserative driving, it is possible. Just in case try to strap a 5gl on the back f your shee instead of that 2.-Dan

Thanks guys.

So that would be 12.5 mpg - sounds about right to everyone?

Thanks for the vent hose tip, I can rig that up pretty easily. What happens when the hose fills with gas and it can't vent anymore? Isn't that just like plugging the vents?

OK, trip report in case it's useful for anyone.

130km (80 miles) total, 10 hours riding over 2 days, 4.5 gallons of fuel consumed (14.5 mpg), 4 litres water drank while riding, max speed reached 65 kph - no overheating, no discomfort, no hassles at all! 8) just complete immense freedom!!!

DSC01695.JPG

Edited by prossett

Thats pretty good on the fuel especially for riding across dunes that tends to use more fuel.

after reading some of the other posts around the board on mileage it seems to vary greatly. A lot of that may have to do with mods and everyones idea of conservative or aggressive riding style is different as well. I like to do long trips as well and sometimes compete in desert races. I am kinda leary of doing any port work or to many more mods to my bike. for the reason it might kill what mileage I do have.