Repeatedly fouling plugs...

acfine

along the lines of the pickup gap. what about ground are you getting a good ground with that new plate? maybe you have developed a weak spark due to that

Didn't think about that...could be... The inside of the casing was ALL rusty. If I have another fouled plug tonight or tomorrow, I'm gonna tear it back down and check that, along with the gap. I'll by a set of gap tools today.

So with my setup (see signature), is 20 the setting I should set it at for the gap between the flywheel and magneto or whatever it's called?

Rusty Timing Plate... Normal?

RustyTimingPlate.jpg

Didn't think about that...could be... The inside of the casing was ALL rusty. If I have another fouled plug tonight or tomorrow, I'm gonna tear it back down and check that, along with the gap. I'll by a set of gap tools today.

So with my setup (see signature), is 20 the setting I should set it at for the gap between the flywheel and magneto or whatever it's called?

Rusty Timing Plate... Normal?

RustyTimingPlate.jpg

Your stator cover wasn't sealing and let water in there. If your old plate looks like that then I can imagine what your stator looks like, and maybe thats the problem...?

Get some feeler gauges and set the air gap on the pickup to the flywheel nodes to 18 to 20 thousands of an inch. :thumbsup:

good luck and let us know if you figure it out. :beer:

You guys are telling him to change oil when it started running like shit RIGHT after he changed the timing plate. :whistling:

Did you touch the carbs at all when removing the timing plate? If not...stop playing with jetting/fuel/oil and get back to electrics/ignition.

A bare wires, broken hold down, bad flywheel, bad stator....loose wire connector...etc.

Oil type and ratio is fine. I like more oil, it's my preference....but if it ran perfectly fine and never fouled plugs and ONLY started doing this if you ONLY changed the timing plate...look elsewhere.

Are you sure you didn't retard the timing on accident? If anything, advancing the timing requires a little more fuel, not less (not always...but sometimes)

Your stator cover wasn't sealing and let water in there. If your old plate looks like that then I can imagine what your stator looks like, and maybe thats the problem...?

Get some feeler gauges and set the air gap on the pickup to the flywheel nodes to 18 to 20 thousands of an inch. :thumbsup:

good luck and let us know if you figure it out. :beer:

Yeah, it was all pretty nasty in there, but the stator and flywheel didn't look AS bad... I think it's where I'm going back to on this...

Thanks for the info on the gapping...

Anthony

You guys are telling him to change oil when it started running like shit RIGHT after he changed the timing plate. :whistling:

Did you touch the carbs at all when removing the timing plate? If not...stop playing with jetting/fuel/oil and get back to electrics/ignition.

A bare wires, broken hold down, bad flywheel, bad stator....loose wire connector...etc.

Oil type and ratio is fine. I like more oil, it's my preference....but if it ran perfectly fine and never fouled plugs and ONLY started doing this if you ONLY changed the timing plate...look elsewhere.

Are you sure you didn't retard the timing on accident? If anything, advancing the timing requires a little more fuel, not less (not always...but sometimes)

Kinda my thoughts, I couldn't see how the oil would have made this much of a difference when it wasn't fouling at ALL before the timing plate.

I looked over the wiring, and it all looked ok, but this weekend, if I'm still having problems, I'm going straight back to where the problems started.

I'm pretty sure I advanced it. I also used the "How to" on this board as a reference...

But in the end, yes, it ONLY started doing this after the timing plate install, and that was the only mod made at that time.

Thanks for the info,

Anthony

Based on today's ride, it still aint running "right"... I'm probably gonna replace the stator completly, clean everything up, replace all if the electronics in there and be done with that uncertainty of the rust and everything. There are pieces on the damn Titanic with less corrosion than my timing plate has.

Anyone know where to get a good used stock stator and all components related to that section, flywheel and all?

Thanks

Anthony

Based on today's ride, it still aint running "right"... I'm probably gonna replace the stator completly, clean everything up, replace all if the electronics in there and be done with that uncertainty of the rust and everything. There are pieces on the damn Titanic with less corrosion than my timing plate has.

Anyone know where to get a good used stock stator and all components related to that section, flywheel and all?

Thanks

Anthony

Here are some pics of my timing plate installed, please feel free to let me know if it is actually set to +4. I believe the gap was off, it was well over .025, but in adjusting the pickup, i broke a screw off in the timing plate :verymad: ... But, managed to get the screw out and have replacements and will put it all back together today. I'd like to know for sure from some of you guys if I do actually have it set at +4...

WheelAndPlateSet.JPG

'nother view

WheelAndPlateSet2.JPG

Thanks everyone,

Anthony