mikuni to keihin jet cross reference

rtcc

Hey guys, I am thinking about picking up a set of Keihin 28mm pwk's but I dont know which jets I will need. I have look for a chart but I cant seem to find one that goes high enough.

I use 340 mains in my bike right now on the stock carbs but what is that equivalent in keihin, and also will the jetting be drastically different because the carbs are larger?

thanks

>Paul Turner High revs/ FMF powercore silencers

>noss head 20cc domes

>RM stator w/+4 timing

>Ported stock reed cages w/TDR reeds

open airbox

I ride at about 1000 feet and right now bike is jetted for around 75 degrees and I am using a 340 main with stock pilots and dynojet needles.

runs perfect

ok yeah I have stock porting. Im not sure what pilots are in them. The weather is starting to get colder here so I will have to go up in mains pretty soon.

I will just get an assortment I guess. From what I can tell pwk jets go in weird increments. Like 150 to 152 to 155, etc.

Would the 150 to 152 be the equivalent of the mikuni incriminates of 5's?

I just dont want to buy 10 jets in the wrong direction or something.

thanks for the help

There is no cross reference....but I think the jetting bansheman recommended will get you close.

I'd actually go a little bigger (richer) to start out and be safe. Maybe 50 pilots and 155 mains.

Mikuni mains go by 10.

their banshee carb pilots go by 2.5 till you get to 35, then they go by 5 (example, 30, 32.5, 35, 40, 45, etc.)

Keihin mains and pilots go by 0, 2, 5, 8, 0. So.... 40, 42, 45, 48, 50....etc.

No such thing as a 320 mikuni main = a 160 keihin main.... Two different carbs all together with different numbering schemes...

There is no cross reference....but I think the jetting bansheman recommended will get you close.

I'd actually go a little bigger (richer) to start out and be safe. Maybe 50 pilots and 155 mains.

Mikuni mains go by 10.

their banshee carb pilots go by 2.5 till you get to 35, then they go by 5 (example, 30, 32.5, 35, 40, 45, etc.)

Keihin mains and pilots go by 0, 2, 5, 8, 0. So.... 40, 42, 45, 48, 50....etc.

No such thing as a 320 mikuni main = a 160 keihin main.... Two different carbs all together with different numbering schemes...

ok awesome, I will order a few different sizes and I should get close.

I appreciate all the help!

thanks

anyone know what cable I need to order for these things?

Yep....stock banshee throttle cable WITHOUT TORS....

Critical you tell them without TORS or it will not be the right one...

If your bike has the TORS removed right now (big honkin' things on top of the carbs) you already have the right cable.

sick!

yeah I have the tors removed so I am good to go then. That saves some time as well.

Since im new to these carbs is the airscrews the same thing? Like when you say 2 1/2 turns out is that out from when the screw is all the way in and the spring is completely compressed?

When I got them they were already set up and they are way more than 2 turns out, wasnt sure if I was supposed to go the other way or something.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

update:

Ok I am still trying to get these things dialed in.

I am trying to get the pilot right first.

I have the 45 pilot in right now and it will start and idle, but will foul out when it gets warmed up. Plugs come out black and wet.

I am 3 full turns out now, I guess I need to go down to a 42 pilot? Does that sound right?

My bike as always liked really small pilots compared to others bikes, Im not sure what it is.

For now I have a 152 main in but haven't had a chance to do a plug chop yet.

am i the only one who thinks 340 mains sounds too rich for this bike?

all the banshees i wrench on with the same mods run around the 300 mark for the mainjet, and we are at sea level, if anything hed be leaner at 1000ft.

unless its the PTR hi revs that make it need a big jet? ive never had anything to do with them...