who does the cheapest porting?

i do not mean for this to be a rude comment at all towards you mopar, but honestly if the only thing you have ported 'banshee' wise is your banshee with a "stage 3" template then i would take blowit's advice and do a lot more reading on just the basic's of 2 strokes. i think you need to put yourself in the customers shoes. How would you feel if you sent your cylinders to a guy that just copies a template? Again no harm intended here, i would just hate to see you get your first job and the customer be unhappy cause honestly almost anyone can do the port job you have done just by reading this post with no special tools.

i know what you're saying. i can see it from a customers standpoint. yes the port job is easy, but you still need the tools and a steady hand. old shaky mcgee ain't the one you want in there.....lol.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know what you're saying. i can see it from a customers standpoint. yes the port job is easy, but you still need the tools and a steady hand. old shaky mcgee ain't the one you want in there.....lol.

yeah your right you do need the steady hand and tools, so you got the first step down. Now just do more experimenting and reading and learning to improve on the port job you have done. Not everyone is going to want a race logic stage 3 port job. what are you going to do if someone calls you and says, "i ride tight trails but occasionally hit the straights and race my buddies" or "all i do is ride dunes and drag race occasionally" or the "i want to drag race and try to be the fastest out there" are you going to be able to honestly tell them you can give them what they want? And again i don't mean to sound rude but just raising your exhuast 1mm isn't even close to a dune port in my opinion.

Not only the tools but the "knowledge" required. Looks like the port finish thing has been beaten to death but what durations are you at with a 1mm raised 1mm? I remember asking a guy a few years ago about a single lung bike of my own that I was tuning up and asked what kind of exhaust timing he liked, He responded with " about 1mm should be about right". He had zero knowledge of my engine state of tune. I knew I had called the wrong guy. You give me any state of tune specs in mms and I am walking. That is for sure.

Come to find out through "math" and my own knowledge in the field that the exhaust was not the problem, it was the limited transfer work that was limiting the engine. If I would have listened to him, I would have had to tape my hands on the bars to handle the power hit at 6500.

By the way, the max RPM of a banshee is not 6k rpm.

I would HIGHLY recommend calling Kawasaki or some other tech schools and take a semester in engine performance and tuning taught by real engineers. You probably think I am insulting you but I spent a week with Kawasaki factory performance 10 yrs ago and you BET I got schooled! I am not sure if you are at that level yet but it would be to your advantage to learn. I went right home and started design of a VFD/roots blower driven flow bench. I could see the glazed look on most faces in the school when they started drawing equations. Some had no business going to performance school without knowing the basics.

Ever wonder why the factory race bikes seem to "run" a little better? It's not because they guessed on the port work.

Edited by blowit

Ever wonder why the factory race bikes seem to "run" a little better? It's not because they guessed on the port work.

I agree with you, up until that point.

the factory bikes run better not only because they have good mechanics...it's because they have no budget.

Go to a store and try to buy a set of forks identical to what Bubba Stewart runs. You can't.

They cost 50 to 60K. They are not available to the public...bits and pieces are....but you can not make nor buy them.

I know they passed a production rule in 1995...no one adheres to it because each is afraid of being called out for cheating by the other.

Now this is basics for moto and Super Cross...but the same holds true for most sports.

I know the factory mechanics are good, but like anything, starting out with better tools, equipment and a bottomless budget never hurt... It's not all the mechanic, not by a long shot.

I think the time you guys have spent typing and reading all this conversation you could have worked a couple of more hours and had the money saved by now. Honestly porting is worth the money. I just got back from glamis with my 7mm stock cylinder banshee and that thing rips. When the power comes on now its amazing. Kevin ported it for me and Im pretty sure it will run with a 7mm cub or beat it now. I have spent many years and different engine configurations and this one rips. Thanks kevin.

yeah your right you do need the steady hand and tools, so you got the first step down. Now just do more experimenting and reading and learning to improve on the port job you have done. Not everyone is going to want a race logic stage 3 port job. what are you going to do if someone calls you and says, "i ride tight trails but occasionally hit the straights and race my buddies" or "all i do is ride dunes and drag race occasionally" or the "i want to drag race and try to be the fastest out there" are you going to be able to honestly tell them you can give them what they want? And again i don't mean to sound rude but just raising your exhuast 1mm isn't even close to a dune port in my opinion.

i would only do the stage 3 dune/play port job. if someone wanted that kind of port job, i could help them out. i'm not saying i can do all the different types/styles of banshee porting. if someone emailed me to port their cylinders for mx or drag/race, i would tell them flat out...."i don't have a port style for that type of riding." i think you guys got confussed, and thought i was saying i can port any banshee, any port style. i'm only out there to help the ones interested in dune/play port....which is pretty much aimed at the general rider, who rides in local farmers fields etc, that wants more power, or to beat his buddy. i will tell you that this stage 3 race logic job, will put a shit eatin' grin on 80%-90% of the guys here on this forum. not many could tell the seat of the pants difference, in kevins dune/play port job versus the race logic dune/play port job, or whatever. yes, there are some that could maybe feel a difference, or see a 2-3hp difference, when ran on a dyno, but most would be satisfied....imo.

I think the time you guys have spent typing and reading all this conversation you could have worked a couple of more hours and had the money saved by now. Honestly porting is worth the money. I just got back from glamis with my 7mm stock cylinder banshee and that thing rips. When the power comes on now its amazing. Kevin ported it for me and Im pretty sure it will run with a 7mm cub or beat it now. I have spent many years and different engine configurations and this one rips. Thanks kevin.

Its not that good and you havent been on one of my Cubs yet. Thanks :biggrin:

Mopar, I just read through most of this thread... Some excellent input from people who obviously have more experience porting 2-stroke cylinders than you. At the same time, I think that you have been pretty up front about what services you are offering and your capabilities. Since you apparently have an arrangement with someone on here... I say go for it. I am not familiar with "Race Logic" templates... However, from your description the port mapping is not overly aggresive (quite the opposite actually) and it sounds like a defenite improvement over OEM. All I might add: Don't experiment on other peoples stuff unless everybody involved is in agreement.

At any rate, hope it works out for you.

the offer that i got from that guy kinda fell thru. i was up for it, but he still doesn't know if he should have the cylinders ported, or sell them as is. i wasn't trying to say that i could do "any kind" of port job. i was just saying that i could do a "stage 3" port job (which is way better than OEM), if anyone was interested in that kind of port job. if someone else wanted a mx port job, or whatever, i would just send them to kevin, etc. i also wasn't going to be "experimenting" on other people's stuff....i would only do what the templates say to do. i appreciate the helpful tips, etc from others on here. i gave up on trying to provide my porting service to others on here, as i don't really care anymore. i talked to a local motorsports shop, and he said that he will probably have me port his son's banshee and his son's snowmobile. as i have done both machines before. hopefully i can get business thru him. i also have 1 guy on another site, sending me his viper snowmobile cylinders for porting. i did my buddies viper and it works great. hopefully this other dude will spread the word on this other site, and then hopefully others can send me their cylinders too. later guys.

Sorry to hear that arrangement fell through. Just from viewing your pics and reading your posts in this thread as well as others... I personally wouldn't have any problem sending you my stock cylinders. Looks to me like you do acceptable work for what it is and as near as I can tell you have been totally up front about what that work is.

Again, hope it works out for you.

Sorry to hear that arrangement fell through. Just from viewing your pics and reading your posts in this thread as well as others... I personally wouldn't have any problem sending you my stock cylinders. Looks to me like you do acceptable work for what it is and as near as I can tell you have been totally up front about what that work is.

Again, hope it works out for you.

yeah, i'm always up front. i don't hide anything. i'll tell it how it is. deckheight, you have a extra set of cylinders you would want to send my way? then you could run them on the dyno and see what the hp figures are.

OK, I'll put it out there and see what come up. Short of that just send me the template mapping data. Lets see what you got???

yeah, i'm always up front. i don't hide anything. i'll tell it how it is. deckheight, you have a extra set of cylinders you would want to send my way? then you could run them on the dyno and see what the hp figures are.
Edited by deckheight