Bad sounding noise

quikshee

Ok fellas, I changed the gear oil and still the noise persists. While the quad is idling it revs just fine but when i try to take off it almost dies and i have to rev the shit out of it to keep it from stalling, then oncomes the grinding noise. I can feel the grinding throughout the quad, this is really bugging the crap out of me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've prsonally never had a banshee crank out.I would say the rod bearings though.Pull the stator side off the motor and look for metal filings,Maybe the flywheel or something in there is rubbing if your lucky.if not pull the clutch cover and see if any metal.Did you drain the oil and inspect it for metal? I guess you did chnge the oil,how did it look?

Edited by shee4speed

Ok I checked the oil, no shavings. Not knocking your suggestion shee but I can't see how a bad or going bad rod bearing would effect how my shee moved, just the way it ran. It revs just fine when i'm not moving, hence the reason i'm thinking it's something with the clutch. I don't want to tear into things that I don't have to and spend money that doesn't need to be spent, ya know?

It seems like you are to the point where you need to start digging for answers in the motor. Start by pulling the cover off either side and inspect everything. It doesn't really matter which side but you need to start somewhere. If you get into both sides and find nothing then you will have to go deeper. Hopefully one side or the other will give you an idea of what is going on. The fact that it changes with a load on the engine does sound like a bearing issue. It could be in the transmission though too. Just a thought.

Look for things that look broken or are scraping. Also see if things wiggle that shouldn't. An example would be if you remove the flywheel cover grab the flywheel and try to move it up/down then left/right. It should not move those directions. It should only rotate. If it does move then the bearing in that case is shot. Same proceedure on the clutch basket on the other side. It should rotate only.

In my experience if you are careful and the gasket comes off easily it could be reused. I have done it. But make sure it looks in good condition and look for signs that it may have already been leaking.