4mil cub motor

wacko2000

I think most of the confusion is coming from the fact that Kevin is probly able to give you more bottom end then normal. But this does NOT mean that it will have the same bottom end as a trail friendly motor. Without detuning a motor that was cast with drag port timings, you will not get the same bottom end as a trail ported stock cylinder. Can you get better then your average cub? Yes , absolutly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes a lot of welding and expensive machine work to "detune" lower the ports. They won't make the same kind of peak power as a standard cub. I've never done one, but I have heard of them. Personally don't know why someone wouldn't just go with the cheetah and save themselves the expense if that's what they're after.

a 4mil stock ported jugs is a great choice. as long as they are virgin jugs and have no porting on them you can have pretty much any type of port job done to them to suite your riding.

Yea, the jugs that are on my bike are mx ported, i have another set but there are bored .40 over..

might consider looking for a fresher set to have ported..

would bigger carbs make a bid difference also? like 33's without hurting the bottom end?

your carbs are goig to depend on what porting a pipes your going to be running. It sounds like your going to be riding trails. My idea of trails might be a little differant then yours, but a set of 30-33 pwks with some T-5 or PT Mids, and a nice trail/dune port would give you a nice range of bottom to higher mid power.

Kevin is going to make mine so I can climb hills, ride it around on flats and small coal mounds, and it will have enough down low to take it on a trail if needed.... but it isn't made for trails. I think most of you guys can see the videos and where we ride and what we do. Perfect for a cub.

Kevin has done a few of them for my exact situation.

Yea, the jugs that are on my bike are mx ported, i have another set but there are bored .40 over..

might consider looking for a fresher set to have ported..

would bigger carbs make a bid difference also? like 33's without hurting the bottom end?

whats the matter? dont trust me? :biggrin:

so what i think i made out of this is that a cub is not friendly to trails cuz it dont have the shit down low right? i never had a cub and never rode one so this topic could push me towards it or away. i`m also not tryin to jack the thread but since the subject came up i`m just trying to understand.

It's not that they have no bottom end, it's the the explosive top end that makes them shitty for trails.

You'll be spinning out and breaking the tires loose everytime you touch the power band.

A cub makes about the same power if not more than an unported stock cylinder, up until about

6500 RPM, then the cub more than doubles its power output from 6,500-10,500 RPM

(40ish-90ish HP in that range)

Riding trails you want a nice broad linear power curve so your bike will hook up to the ground.

Playing in the sand with paddles you'll want the wheel speed. The faster your paddles are scooping sand

the faster you'll accelerate, and thats where the cub shines.

Your cub will be a blast up those hills!

High H.P. and wheel speed is the key.

in hillclimbing, high hp and wheel speed is not always a good thing.

Not exactly, at all really.

Speed is only a 1/4 of the equation, setup and rider skill is above all.

i agree..

hillclimbing isnt just about speed and power. its about being able to use a clutch, being able to control your bike, and knowing just the right time to nail or let off the throttle..

ive been hillclimbing for 8 years now.. i have seen some of the nastiest bikes run.. i have seen kawi triple cylinder 2 stroke motors in bikes that turn 12,000 rpm that will blow the fuckin tire off.. i have seen street bike motors turning 16,000 rpm blaze up the hill...

but the fastest bikes i have ever seen were bikes with harley motors.. they arent necessarily high hp and they sure as fuck dont turn the rpm's those other bikes do.. but those bikes have so much torque that they can pull monster gearing and monster tires. those bikes setup like that blow the doors off those bikes that turn huge hp and rpm.

what im saying is that having some crazy high hp bike can and will get you in trouble on the hills, especially loose shit like those coal hills. more hp and wheels speed means youre gonna dig down more, when what you want is to go forward. setup is key. swingarms, tires, gearing and bike wight all play a part. not to mention is helps to be a good rider.. anyway, just a little insight about hillclimbing.

feel free to mouth me and tell me i dont know shit about hillclimbing :biggrin: