Question about removing an excessive amount of carbon build up from pipes.

Good evening everyone, I am currently working on a 1995 banshee with FMF gold series pipes. According to the owner he had the exhaust system put on when he bought it brand new. The problem I’m having is trying to get it running properly. I thought from sitting for 4+ years that a mouse found its way into the exhaust so I took it apart and first checked the silencers and they were clear when I blew compressed air through them. I then removed the pipes and inspected both exhaust ports on each cylinder and they were ok with minimum carbon build up. I then moved on to the pipes and blew compressed air through them and they weren’t clogged either but, I did notice inside the pipes that they have an excessive amount of carbon build up. I did a google search on it and it shows a few ways to remove the exhaust carbon build up but, I’m trying to avoid doing it the way they are showing it being done. I did think about getting my fire pit nice and hot and just laying the pipes in my fire pit and see if that will work. The only thing I’m worried about is ruining the finish on the pipes. I already explained to the owner that he might need a new set of pipes and he said that it’s not in his budget right now. So I’m just trying to find another opinion on removing the carbon build up. If anyone has an idea about this issue please post below. 

Thanks 

Edited by OneBADBanshee05

I’ve been messing around with banshee’s for a really long time now. When I took on this job it was a non- running banshee for 4+ years. I know that it’s not the carbs. I just recently ripped them both apart all way to an empty shell and ultra sonic cleaned them, the bowls and installed all new parts all the way down to the new floats. I did all the testing ( compression & leak down ) and everything was fine. From what I can see through my camera scope the top of the pistons have a average amount of carbon deposit on the top of them. I even checked and reset the pick up on the flywheel. It has a very fat blue spark. Wiring harness is in great condition for its age. Today I put on a different set of fmf pipes ( SST’s ) from another banshee I’m working on and it ran really good and then I put the fmf gold series back on and it ran rough. I know the jetting is different from pipe to pipe.The packing in the silencers look to be good condition. I also installed some boyesen super stock carbon fiber reeds and intake gaskets because the reed pedals that were on there were brittle. It has a fresh tank of 93 octane and casters 927 mixed 32:1. So as of right now I’m stumped over this. Anyone can chime in with there opinion on this issue. 

Thanks 

@DeetsI tried to talk him into a the exhaust system you have for sale and I even showed him what they looked like but he’s said no dice. He said fishing season is coming soon. 

Edited by OneBADBanshee05
  • Like 1

Maybe you could try soaking the inside with CLR? Then pressure washer. 

If that doesn’t work you could try a blast cabinet. I’d be a little Leary of that though, because you’d have to make sure to get all the media back out of the pipes. 

On 2/4/2020 at 11:17 PM, OneBADBanshee05 said:

I’ve been messing around with banshee’s for a really long time now. When I took on this job it was a non- running banshee for 4+ years. I know that it’s not the carbs. I just recently ripped them both apart all way to an empty shell and ultra sonic cleaned them, the bowls and installed all new parts all the way down to the new floats. I did all the testing ( compression & leak down ) and everything was fine. From what I can see through my camera scope the top of the pistons have a average amount of carbon deposit on the top of them. I even checked and reset the pick up on the flywheel. It has a very fat blue spark. Wiring harness is in great condition for its age. Today I put on a different set of fmf pipes ( SST’s ) from another banshee I’m working on and it ran really good and then I put the fmf gold series back on and it ran rough. I know the jetting is different from pipe to pipe.The packing in the silencers look to be good condition. I also installed some boyesen super stock carbon fiber reeds and intake gaskets because the reed pedals that were on there were brittle. It has a fresh tank of 93 octane and casters 927 mixed 32:1. So as of right now I’m stumped over this. Anyone can chime in with there opinion on this issue. 

Thanks 

@DeetsI tried to talk him into a the exhaust system you have for sale and I even showed him what they looked like but he’s said no dice. He said fishing season is coming soon. 

Ever get em cleaned out? 

Yes, I finally got them cleaned out. I did a further inspection and they were being restricted in the lower area close to the frame buy the lower rear a-arm mounts. I took both pipes to my work and submerged them into some Extremely heavy duty parts cleaner solvent and let them soak in it for a couple of days and it dissolved all the carbon build up without me having to put any type of effort into it. I’ll be reinstalling the pipes sometime tomorrow. 

• Like 1

*Update* I put the pipes and silencers back on and she runs really smooth now and has a very snappy throttle response as well. Just buy cleaning out the carbon build up in the pipes it’s like I woke up a sleeping giant. I took it for a rip on Sunday to do a plug chop by my house and the plugs have a lite coco colored center. So, I’m happy with the outcome and I hope that my neighbor is just as happy. I also changed the pre mix from Castor 927 @ 32:1 to Klotz R-50 @ 32:1 with 93 octane.