Bring That Shine Back.

Canadianshee

After doing a frame up rebuild, wanted to share the experience and product used for cleaning a set of FMF Fatty pipes.

Pipes were in rough shape when I purchased this Banshee last fall. Previous owner had decided to spray paint the exposed portions of the frame and exhaust black. Ohhh boy lazy as nothing was removed of covered.

This is what the pipes started out as ( pic 1) After a good wash and a light wire brushing with a brass wire brush I started with the aluminium foil rubbing. Ended up going through a 50 foot role of aluminium foil. A rough 30 hours were put in to this step. A lot longer then I first though would take. I will admit near the end I put more attention to the most visible part of the pipe.

Next I used a drill and the following products to do the polishing process (pic 2) master craft emery smoothing compound was used first. This is a cutting compound so close visual polishing is highly recommended as it cuts through the rust and pits fast. Next compound I used was the Rouge polishing compound , it s ultra fine none scratching polish. Next polish medium used was the extra fine Diamond polish compound. This step seemed to go fast. Very little weight was applied to each section with the polishing pad and drill. Now each of the above compound come dry in a stick. I used a dish soap and water mixture to spray the pipes down then rub the pipe with the polish compound before hitting it with the drill. The final step was using a wet polish to bring out the shine end results (Pic 3 and 4)

With the condition the pipes were in, compared to now, I happy with the results. Now you won't be able to remove and polish out all the rough areas but you can make the rest of the pipe shine like new so you don't notice the bad areas. Saving money instead of buying new is nice, but the amount of time and effort is a lot. 714b13e4d3640bc06eb80c7e6c86a4ef.jpgdf7f6e3969a5879e66176e58dbc38187.jpg2f463780405ee1c9c34291d20fdfaa81.jpgaaabd8d0bfcde469da9354a9d24cb93a.jpg

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You did a good job, I just buy new stuff when things arnt shinny anymore haha.

When you factor in that you can re-selling old pipes for small return, then extra time spent, chemicals, cleaning up your work area after... possible health risks with some chemical...

It might actully be cheaper bahaha

• Like 1

You did a good job, I just buy new stuff when things arnt shinny anymore haha.

When you factor in that you can re-selling old pipes for small return, then extra time spent, chemicals, cleaning up your work area after... possible health risks with some chemical...

It might actully be cheaper bahaha

Yes after putting all the time in on them and the huge mess, buying new is better, but went way over budget with the motor, after doing a tone of reading on here.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...