How have you broken or thrown a chain?

???  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

blessedwithdeath seems to think that by watching your swingarm and carrier bearings will negate the need for a case saver. he thinks that by neglecting them, you will throw chains..

so i wanna know who here has had a chain break or thrown due to bad bearings, because i think hes a retard and his theory is ridiculous.

i feel that bad bearings is far less likely to make you break or throw a chain than any of my other choices..

i threw a chain once due to breaking a front sprocket into 5 pieces...

EDIT: i changed it so that you can vote for more than one. it seems several people have had more than one happen.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

well ive thrown a chain a few times, once cause my carrier was bad on my old 300ex i rode it home like that, go 300 yards, it would fall off, go another 300 yards it would fall off, it was a long day getting back to the truck, it smashed the case saver like it wasent even there and still cracked my case, threw a new carrier in and JB welded the case and it was good as new :biggrin:

BUT then i ran a entire GNCC race with a bad carrier on my old raptor and it never fell off once or broke, i didnt even realize it until I got there aND i Said fuck, i'm here, gonna go as far as I can, and I finished and ahead of my buddies 250r :evil: by the time the race was over, it was so bad i had to get a new swingarm it just worn the piss out of it and i had about 4 inches of play on it,

other times i just de railed a chain due to some bullshit sticks or something, but a case saver in my opinon is always a good idea

Edited by Angel ripper

My chain has only been thrown once...and it was because it went from about 60 MPH on a drag strip to 0 in about 10 feet...it didn't like that.

Excess wear and slack are the major players.

If rear bearings were so badly worn that they cause the axle to actually creep toward the foot peg when you gas it...then maybe.

But you'd have to be an idiot to let them get that worn in the first place....

I wouldn't go as far as calling someone an idiot for having bad axle or swingarm bearings. Most bad bearings are found only because the chain popped. You have to realize that everyone uses their quad differently. I can see how a drag racin' guy would think that bad bearings should be caught before the chain problems start. But in my world its more like this ---> Ride every other day, for most of the spring, summer and fall, wash the quad once a week, inspect it as much as possible. But the problem about bearings is... to check em you need to put the quad on a stand to check the swingarm and axle bearings. You can't check em every time you go riding if your riding the damn thing all the time. Oh you will put the quad on the jack stand to check the play in your brand new bearings, you'll do that for the first 10 times you go riding. Then one day your buddies show up and you hop on the quad and go. Now its August and your checking your bearings once in a while. Chain is tight, no throwing problems, everything is dandy. Then one day your chain pops. Throw the quad on a stand and the bearings are shot. Its part of the game. The only way around this is to check the bearings all the time and although its the ideal thing, in reality it doesn't happen and chains begin to pop.

Iv never had a chain snap, I don't have high HP motors.

I ride in the one of the rockiest places you can imagine and I stopped running a swingarm skid plate 5 years ago and Iv never had the chain derail from a rock.

I have never seen a stick de-rail a chain, but Iv had one wrap around my axle and sprocket pretty good.

I have never broken a front sprocket or seen one break.

I have seen chains de-rail from worn sprockets and from being out of adjustment.

Thinking about it more, I would say that all of my chain de-rails were from bad swingarm bearings. Usually its the swingarm bearings that give me the problems and not so much the axle bearings. It only takes a little bit of wear on the front swingarm bearings to wiggle that long swingarm enough to pop the chain. The axle bearings are a lot stronger and last longer than swingarm bearings.

Swingarm bearings I can see...axle bearings, if you let them get that worn to the point it throws a chain...sorry, just neglect in my book.

If you can't feel those bearings, vibration, etc. going bad...who knows what else you don't know about that's going on inside the engine, etc.