A little tuning help...

Just bought a '99,

Pretty stock bike all around, the mufflers have been gutted, the motor was rebuilt top to bottom about a year ago, and the previous owner says that it has been jetted (mains)

Been out on a couple of short rides, and I am finding the power band falls on it's face leaving from a standing start in first. Revs are awsome in neutral, seems to have plenty of power once it's it's rolling and steady in the power. But just getting going, I can put it in first drop the cluch and give it full throttle and it almost dies.

Am I looking at something electrical, coil or stator breaking down under load? or is there just some tuning I need to correct. Drop or raise the needles, different mains, etc..

BTW stock air box and filter,

Thanks for any imput

Just bought a '99,

Pretty stock bike all around, the mufflers have been gutted, the motor was rebuilt top to bottom about a year ago, and the previous owner says that it has been jetted (mains)

Been out on a couple of short rides, and I am finding the power band falls on it's face leaving from a standing start in first. Revs are awsome in neutral, seems to have plenty of power once it's it's rolling and steady in the power. But just getting going, I can put it in first drop the cluch and give it full throttle and it almost dies.

Am I looking at something electrical, coil or stator breaking down under load? or is there just some tuning I need to correct. Drop or raise the needles, different mains, etc..

BTW stock air box and filter,

Thanks for any imput

Hmmm... If it were me, I would figure out what I was working with first. I would do a compression

test in both cyliders. Then I would tear the carbs down and clean/inventory them. If its nearly all

stock I would make sure your main jets are anywhere from .190 to .220's depending on elevation,

your pilot jet is of the stock size, and your needle is on the 3rd (middle) clip/location, and your

airscrews are 1.5 turns out. I would thrown in a set of fresh spark plugs gapped correctly, and drain

the fuel and throw in 93 oct with a 32:1 or 40:1 mixture of some good oil. If it still ran like crap, I

would start by troubleshooting my electrical components one at a time using the Electrical FAQ

document on the Main Page of this site under technical documents. It the stator, coil, pickup coil,

pickup coil gap(s) all check out and are within tolerance then I would list everything single thing you

did, and what symptoms you are seeing in detail and ask for additional help on here. Maybe some

of these guys that have been doing this forever can offer more assitance than this? But you sound

like a guy that wants to get the satisfaction of getting her running yourself. Good luck!!!

Keep us posted...

All this might be overkill, but its all pretty simple. This was you know where you are starting from...

Oh, and welcome to the HQ!

Edited by mdhc500

K so did a little investigation yesterday afternoon, fairly frustrating...

Carbs seem ok, mains are 210's pilots are stock, inside of carbs clean and seem normal.

Compression, good on both cylenders and withing a psi of each other. What is the stock compression????

Air filter is old and stock, but I tried running without it and it made no difference

Brand new 92 fuel, good oil, proper mix.

so here it is..

Idles and revs in neutral like a champ. Idles in gear not bad, but the second you give it some throttle in gear it drops a cylender. Always the left side. Every time. Keep you thumb in it or feather the clutch and it will come back, but unless you are high into the revs in will cut out again.

I did a plug check several times, right side burns nice, left side always washed. And I mean washed. You can also tell at the exhust joints and muffler tip of the left cyclender raw fuel and oil.

Disconnected tors no help.

Tradded the plug wires back and forth the washed plug does not follow the plug wires, both seem to have plenty of spark.

So I drive in first second, what ever gear, mid to low RPM and it will only run on the right cyclender, loads right up on fuel. But if it just sits idling, it will run on both, or if it is really high revs it will kick the second cyclender in.

If I do a flat out run all the way through the gears, I can maintain both cylenders at high revs, but the seccond the revs drop I loose the left cyclender again. Always the left.

One other thing, starting stone cold, with float bowls dry. Choke to get er going, then hop right on the throttle, runs like it should, for a minute or less. Then starts to load up on gas within a minute or two, and back to the same problem.

Not surprising but it seems to be burning a tonn of fuel!!!!

Anyhow, what would be causing this???? Gotta be something in the carb??? Reeds??? Bad motor????

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Edited by WriteTwisted

I had kinda of the same thing happening to me one day, wouldn't pull off idle and really had to hammer the clutch to get it to run up high. I tore into the carbs and it turned out to be a plugged pilot jet. Don't know if this is your problem but your symptoms seem alot like mine were that day. Good luck, let us know how it turned out.

K so did a little investigation yesterday afternoon, fairly frustrating...

Carbs seem ok, mains are 210's pilots are stock, inside of carbs clean and seem normal.

Compression, good on both cylenders and withing a psi of each other. What is the stock compression????

Air filter is old and stock, but I tried running without it and it made no difference

Brand new 92 fuel, good oil, proper mix.

so here it is..

Idles and revs in neutral like a champ. Idles in gear not bad, but the second you give it some throttle in gear it drops a cylender. Always the left side. Every time. Keep you thumb in it or feather the clutch and it will come back, but unless you are high into the revs in will cut out again.

I did a plug check several times, right side burns nice, left side always washed. And I mean washed. You can also tell at the exhust joints and muffler tip of the left cyclender raw fuel and oil.

Disconnected tors no help.

Tradded the plug wires back and forth the washed plug does not follow the plug wires, both seem to have plenty of spark.

So I drive in first second, what ever gear, mid to low RPM and it will only run on the right cyclender, loads right up on fuel. But if it just sits idling, it will run on both, or if it is really high revs it will kick the second cyclender in.

If I do a flat out run all the way through the gears, I can maintain both cylenders at high revs, but the seccond the revs drop I loose the left cyclender again. Always the left.

One other thing, starting stone cold, with float bowls dry. Choke to get er going, then hop right on the throttle, runs like it should, for a minute or less. Then starts to load up on gas within a minute or two, and back to the same problem.

Not surprising but it seems to be burning a tonn of fuel!!!!

Anyhow, what would be causing this???? Gotta be something in the carb??? Reeds??? Bad motor????

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Did you check the reeds when you had the carbs off? And again I would take the carbs all apart

and clean them through and through. Verify none of the jets are clogged, that the floats and slides

are not sticking. Make sure the reeds are not broken chipped or cracked. I would agree that under

load it sounds as if the air/fuel mixture is what's causing your issue? I wish I had more to offer, but

I'm a realative newb to to 2-strokes...