AVGAS 100LL

On a more scientific note, I want you guys to think about this. AVgas is made for aircraft, which run at very high elevations and low RPM.

The only one of those that bothers me is low RPM, which banshee's are definitely NOT. On another note, I have used it and it worked fine, granted I may have not needed the high octane either.

Also, 100LL octane avgas may not be 100 octane either, they measure octane a different way i believe.

On a more scientific note, I want you guys to think about this. AVgas is made for aircraft, which run at very high elevations and low RPM.

The only one of those that bothers me is low RPM, which banshee's are definitely NOT. On another note, I have used it and it worked fine, granted I may have not needed the high octane either.

Also, 100LL octane avgas may not be 100 octane either, they measure octane a different way i believe.

Yeah, its 102 and up depending and consistent not like pump.

Just get the fella that pumps it to check with there octane test guage whats in your cans after he pumps them, i always do!

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not installed my topend yet...I currently have 421 cub, 22cc cub domes cut by Andy at M&M, 100LL of course, 34 PJ's, SB IF Shearers, VF2's, at sealevel, temps 60*- 80* & :confused: on what timing to start with.

I installed my 421 cub, +4 timing, squish is .052 on right cylinder & .054 of left cylinder, compression on fresh build before starting was 130 psi on left cylinder & 132 psi on right cylinder. My compression guage tip is about 1/4" shorter than BR8ES spark plug tip. So my compression is higher than what the guage is showing. I mixed 100LL straight 32:1 Klotz supertechniplate & I warmed the bike up. Then I made a few passes with jetting set at 52 pilots CEG 162 mains. It was idle hanging so i installed a 55 pilots & it cleared up. I made a few more passes on it & checked the plugs & they was grey looking. I checked my compression again & the left cylinder is still at 130psi but right cylinder went up to 135 psi. The bike pulls good but i was nervous from the grey reading on both plugs. I installed a 170 mains & it got sluggish on top side. I removed the 170 mains & went back to a 162mains & it started back pulling hard again. So then I went to a 160 mains & it pulls a little bit harder. I stopped there cause I dont have any more plugs & was trying to find some help on dailing my jetting in perfect. I am concerned at why my plugs look grey? I know it's not lean or running hot just wondering why my plugs give a grey reading with the 100LL? & what color should my electrolode be when near perfect jetting....i know a tan brown using pump or race gas, but this 100LL is tricky....All help is appreciated

Edited by 252wheelieking