Lightened flywheel

Looking at getting it done. What kind of shop performs a mod like this. And what kind of gains will I see?

It allows the engine to rev faster, and it also lets it spool down faster. Patriot Racing's website says "this mod is not for our heavier riders." Not sure what they consider a 'heavier' rider... :confused:

According to their websites, Flotek Performance and Patriot Racing provide that service. I am sure many others do it as well, and maybe a local machine shop can do it as well...

On my builds, I only recommend it for drag applications or dune bikes for riders under 170 lbs. It does not make more hp, simply allows your engine to rev up faster to make your holeshot better. Not a good mod for a trail bike, makes it difficult to mantain any rpm especially lower rpms. At 220, I seriously doubt you would appreciate a lightened flywheel.

I say different.

When I had a stock motor, pod filters and T5 pipes, I got mine shaved.

I loved it... It came on the pipe quicker...did rev down quicker...but, since it gets on the pipe quicker, big deal.

I'm 250 lbs. Fat and sassy.

I'm going to get an extra flywheel one of these days and have it shaved for my 10 mil cub drag bike, just to see....

I can do them for $30 plus shipping. But, I seriously doubt you'll like it.

BTW Dave, you're the only "big" guy that I've ever heard say he liked a shaved flywheel for other than drag application. I sometimes don't like mine because of the lowend surge(hard to maintain lower rpms), and I only weigh 145

My buddy that rode the same bike liked it better too. And he's 300 lbs.

He is (was) actually a 4 stroke guy too, so...we might have to void his opinion....LOL.

LOL...That's cool, I love how quick mine revs out...but, it can be a pain in tight technical areas. Everyone has different preferences for the way thier bike runs or feels for that matter. I'm just extremely suprised that your not running a shaved flywheel or even a pvl on your 10mil. I think you'd really appreciate the pull with one for your application.

I heard that it makes it easier to stall out which I would imagine making the plugs more likely to foul. But then again i only read it and haven't tried it so I dunno. Good luck.

Plugs will ONLY foul out if the jetting is incorrect, or you're using an absurd amount of oil..(or...the wrong kind).

No matter what the RPM, there is a Jetting circuit to fine tune the fuel and air..so they shouldn't foul.

Lugging a two stroke and fouling plugs has no relation. Poor or improper jetting does (or poor tune, like old plugs, dirty air filter(s), etc.)

It's on my list of things to do...I'll never run a PVL. Too much hassle. They either work or they don't....and my stock ignition works perfectly (now that I fried my 2nd Ricky Stator and went back to OEM Stator...lol)

I do want to shave a flywheel and try it...but I don't expect much to be honest.