additional boost ports

2001Stroker, you usually don't want any of the intake ports, or transfer ports polished. the fuel won't properly atomize and you will be down on power. its acutally more beneficial to have the ports bead blasted. that's smooth enough and then the fuel will atomize. the exhaust port is the one you want really smooth. you could just sand it with like 120-220 grit and that should be good enough. you can get it really smoooth, if you want. that would cut down on the chance for oil/carbon to stick.

slobanshee, i have my cylinders bored .040" over w/a stage 3 race logic port job. the intakes were opened up big time (lowered/raised) and the exhaust port was widened/raised/reshaped. do you think it would be beneficial w/my type of port job? i wonder why the boost ports hurt your port work? i can't see how they should/could hurt ones top end.

2001Stroker, you usually don't want any of the intake ports, or transfer ports polished. the fuel won't properly atomize and you will be down on power. its acutally more beneficial to have the ports bead blasted. that's smooth enough and then the fuel will atomize. the exhaust port is the one you want really smooth. you could just sand it with like 120-220 grit and that should be good enough. you can get it really smoooth, if you want. that would cut down on the chance for oil/carbon to stick.

I gotcha. Besides making sure an engine has a proper air/fuel mixture, isn't that the carburators other main function? To atomize the air/fuel? One would think that a smooth flow would make more power. Make it more efficient. Not tryin to be a smartass, just tryin to learn something. I got what you're saying about the exhaust, though.

most people think that the polished intake ports, increase power, but they don't atomize the fuel properly. the carb doesn't atomize the fuel near enough. as the fuel/air mixture flows thru the ports, it catches all those little bumps (from bead blasting and are very, very, very small), the fuel gets atomized more. than the air/fuel mixture, gets inside the cylinder, and gets mixed in the turbulance created by the squish band, when the piston gets to top/dead center. the new air/fuel mixture also gets mixed w/old exhaust gas. the stuff that the cylinder didn't get expelled of.

slobanshee, i have my cylinders bored .040" over w/a stage 3 race logic port job. the intakes were opened up big time (lowered/raised) and the exhaust port was widened/raised/reshaped. do you think it would be beneficial w/my type of port job? i wonder why the boost ports hurt your port work? i can't see how they should/could hurt ones top end.

As I said a few posts ago, what works well with one builders work may not work as well with anothers. Try it for yourself. I didn't see a gain for what I was trying to achieve with those cylinders so I filled them in. They offered such minimal difference at the small size I cut them that I haven't bothered with them since. You will absolutely notice more gain/loss with correct/incorrect transfer port work.

most people think that the polished intake ports, increase power, but they don't atomize the fuel properly. the carb doesn't atomize the fuel near enough. as the fuel/air mixture flows thru the ports, it catches all those little bumps (from bead blasting and are very, very, very small), the fuel gets atomized more. than the air/fuel mixture, gets inside the cylinder, and gets mixed in the turbulance created by the squish band, when the piston gets to top/dead center. the new air/fuel mixture also gets mixed w/old exhaust gas. the stuff that the cylinder didn't get expelled of.

Nice...

Intakes tract should not be polished as said, it causes the gas to bead up instead of atomize for proper combustion...

You can polish the exhaust...but, carbon tends to stick to it anyways.... A nice smooth intake and exhaust track is what you want, polishing might look cool for a pic, but it's not helping performance.

The size/shape/timing of the ports is where the power is.