Filings in gear oil

mofoka

After my last ride I checked the gear lube and it looked like ass with tons of metal flake. The clutch isn't disengaging properly, but other than that it drives smooth and has tons of jam.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? I'm going to tear it open next week and it would be nice to hear of any suggestions for me to check/replace while I'm in there.

BANSHEE NOOB!

I'd suspect the clutch especially given you said it's not disengaging (??)...kinda fine darkish particles are more or less normal clutch wear, but any kinda metal shavings or chunks ain't so good. I'd pull off the clutch cover (RH side of bottom end, need to remove the RH footpeg then the kicker then drain the coolant 'cause the front of that cover is where the water pump lives) and take a look, it could be shavings from the clutch basket fingers or the steel clutch plates or just the fibers...could always be worse tho. Definitely scope out the disengagement ball and rod and adjuster too. Good luck.

Good stuff BenBB and J-Madd, keep it coming!

Also let me know if there are any tools that must get before cracking the case.

That idle gear clip and washer, is it something I can tighten or do I need to replace it?

And to check the disengagement ball and rod do I need to pull the entire clutch apart?

YOu don't have to split the cases, just remove the foot peg and clutch cover. YOu'll find you problem in there somewhere. You might have a new clutch cover gasket on hand just in case the old one tears. The idler gear is behind the clutch basket. It is the gear that the kick starter gear engages. If you can wobble that gear easily, the clip and washer are gone, which you will most likely find somewhere in the clutch cover. You'll have to order a new clip and/or washer, and maybe a new bushing for that gear, BUT that may not be the issue.

Be sure you have a good big phillips screw bit or even an impact screwdriver (the kind that you hit with a hammer) as those clutch cover bolts strip very easily. While your at it, you could be allen head replacement bolts for cheap from rockymountain atv, or wherever.

Could be bearings also, that was the first sign I had that tranny bearings were going. But Id say its probably the clutch (basket wear?). I've had the clip fall off the idler gear too (use a new snap ring on it every time). Magnetic drain plug caught all of it (those things are awesome, you'd be surprised at the metal in your oil even when you can't see it).

Well I opened it up.

I'm going to try running 10-40 oil instead of the last guy's 80w gear lube and I hope that will make a difference. With the clutch disenguaged the plates really stuck together.

The idle gear seemed pretty tight... well you can wigle it a little. I'm not sure where I can tighten it up.

But the big mystery is the abnormal wear on the outside of the clutch basket. It runs about an inch up from the back and looks like something inside the case is dragging along it but I can't see anything that would do that....

... Can anyone think of what would cause this?

Well I opened it up.

I'm going to try running 10-40 oil instead of the last guy's 80w gear lube and I hope that will make a difference. With the clutch disenguaged the plates really stuck together.

The idle gear seemed pretty tight... well you can wigle it a little. I'm not sure where I can tighten it up.

But the big mystery is the abnormal wear on the outside of the clutch basket. It runs about an inch up from the back and looks like something inside the case is dragging along it but I can't see anything that would do that....

... Can anyone think of what would cause this?

Trust me, they ALL look like that.

Trust me, they ALL look like that.

Seriously?

I'm trippin' balls over this thinking I need to open it up again to look for something wearing on the outside of the basket.

Seriously?

I'm trippin' balls over this thinking I need to open it up again to look for something wearing on the outside of the basket.

Yeah, seriously. I've been into 4 or 5 different Banshee engines and all had those scratches on the basket. One was a 2006 I bought brand new, and had to scratches on it in no time. I have no idea where they come from...