bottom end lag

tryin to tune the beast is leaving me befuddled. I got the '98 bansh with staggered carbs, 300 close side, 280 far side. After burnin it up and puttin a set of 65mm jugs, I got close runnin 320 mains on both sides. Test runs in 5th gear wide open show a nice light brown electro, but its the lag on the bottom end that I cant shake.

I'm running the stock mikunies,320main and 25 pilot with the air screw 2 turns out, needle is on the top clip, tors removed. stock filter with no lid, boost bottle, stock timing, fmf fatty pipes, not sure wich silencer-The previuosly staggered far side seems to run richer?

I made sure both my slides were in synch by moving the cable screws on the top of the carbs until the slides each moved at the same time. I'm at about 900 ft above sealevel and the temp range ismid 70's-mid80's. Shee idles good and starts first kick, I'm thinkin of droppin my pilots to a 22.5 any sugesstions?

Start off by moving the needle clip to the middle (3rd) position. You probably need to move your mains down a few steps too since you have fatties and you are running the stock filter and possibly move up one on your pilots and fine tune your off idle response with the air screw after that. Make sure your carbs are clean first and foremost. This should get you moving in the right direction.

-Ryan

Wtf are staggered carbs :blink:

As for the above advice, I'd only take the needle advice. You have it on the fattest setting. You should be fine with a 25 pilot and those mods and maybe a 300 main, then work down from there.

Staggered refers to the 660 rapTure with 2 carbs ,4 stroke,THE LEFT HAS 2 INTAKE AND NEEDS A BIGGER JET, tHE RIGH SIDE ONLY HAS ONE INTAKE.

Start off by moving the needle clip to the middle (3rd) position. You probably need to move your mains down a few steps too since you have fatties and you are running the stock filter and possibly move up one on your pilots and fine tune your off idle response with the air screw after that. Make sure your carbs are clean first and foremost. This should get you moving in the right direction.

-Ryan

I started off in 3 spot and 1.5 turns, then 2, then 2.25, shee was still runin rich. carbs just had kits put in and are really clean. So should I try the smaller mains even with the good colored plugs? 27.5 pilots not 22.5?

Staggered refers to the 660 rapTure with 2 carbs ,4 stroke,THE LEFT HAS 2 INTAKE AND NEEDS A BIGGER JET, tHE RIGH SIDE ONLY HAS ONE INTAKE.

That may be on the raptor, but in my case it was a 300 main on the near carb, and 280 main on the far one. I guess allot of snowmobile guyz jet like that? Least thats what they told me at the shop. From what I've learned it aint no way to run banshee's!

What ratio are you running your premix at? Im not familier with how restrictive the stock filter is and the corresponding jetting because i have never ran one, but you might want to get yourself a filter that will flow better. That will definitely help with your rich condition and overall performance in general but it really shouldn't be rich with the stock pilots and aftermarket pipes. What are the specific reasons you think its rich and riding conditions (throttle position) where the bog is present?

-Ryan

What ratio are you running your premix at? Im not familier with how restrictive the stock filter is and the corresponding jetting because i have never ran one, but you might want to get yourself a filter that will flow better. That will definitely help with your rich condition and overall performance in general but it really shouldn't be rich with the stock pilots and aftermarket pipes. What are the specific reasons you think its rich and riding conditions (throttle position) where the bog is present?

-Ryan

I run castrol 927 at 32:1. From0-1/4 throttle, shee runs "ratty" like starvin for air.1/4-1/2 befor the powerband, still soft in the throttle and needs a few quik pumps from the thumb b4 for shee bogs down and starts takin off. What seems to work best is a clutch slip and quik few revs to hit the band. If I run the choke on first click it gets worse with more smoke. I'm gettin some oil seepin through the far side silencer.

choke tube is connected, all jets the same. Thanx for the help everybody!!

I agree with bbc. If you dont have the 27.5's laying around try turning your air screws in to about a half turn out and take a ride and see if it performs any better. If its "ratty" or sounds like its breaking up it's usually a lean condition. I still think your mains are pretty large for having fatties. They are more of a bottom end pipe and don't require a big main jet. For comparison, I am running T5's, ported motor, ported cages, advanced timing, shaved head, and I am running 320's at 1400 ft elevation. Just a thought.

-Ryan

I agree with bbc. If you dont have the 27.5's laying around try turning your air screws in to about a half turn out and take a ride and see if it performs any better. If its "ratty" or sounds like its breaking up it's usually a lean condition. I still think your mains are pretty large for having fatties. They are more of a bottom end pipe and don't require a big main jet. For comparison, I am running T5's, ported motor, ported cages, advanced timing, shaved head, and I am running 320's at 1400 ft elevation. Just a thought.

-Ryan

Ok, I'll try that and let you know, probly this time tomorrow. Thanks again for all you guyz advice!

Ok, I'll try that and let you know, probly this time tomorrow. Thanks again for all you guyz advice!

Apologies to anyone waitin to hear from me 2day, had to watch the kidz, so I didn't get to do much. I did get a set of 27.5's, andalso some 290 mains. Kinda scared to jump that far down on the mains, so I'm thinkin about my 310's maybe just try the pilots 1rst?

If you are nervous about the smaller mains, you can put the 310's in and do a plug chop to ensure you are headed in the right direction. There is a tech doc you can get to through the BHQ home page on performing a plug chop if you have any questions. If you are riding and give it 3/4 to full throttle and it bogs and then catches up that means your mains are rich. 0 to 1/4 throttle is where your pilots and screws have control. Throttle position refers to the position of your thumb throttle (how far the slides are opened), regardless of the engine RPM. Thought I would throw that out there just to make sure we are on the same page because it makes a huge difference. Good luck tomorrow.

-Ryan