Please help!

I've done some searching and I haven't found an answer. I need some advice...

Yesterday I put on a K&N Filter and the Powerlid, and a DMC 916 exhaust. I for the life of me cannot get the carb tops off. I've tried various penetrating fluids and pliers to no avail. I'm starting to score the aluminum.

As was previously posted, K&N recommendations for jetting the powerlid are plain silly. They supply you with 340 and 350 mains. DMC instructions say 320 or higher with an open airbox. Guy at DMC says 300.

I changed the mains to a 300 and the pilots to a 30. After doing so, it idled well, revved crisp, but has no low to middle range and powerband hits late but strong as hell. Plugs looked pretty decent, maybe a little lean, although they weren't standard pulls. It was pretty late and the exhaust is fairly loud.

I changed to a 320 main and it got a little better with regard to when the power comes on. Compared to stock, though, it still seems that I'm missing a lot of midrange pull.

Should I richen my needle clip position, and if so, can you please tell me how the $%&* you get the carb tops off (yes I've taken the brass side locks off)?

Thanks guys.

Did you try a simple adjustable set of pliers??

Remove the gas tank, remove the carbs and leave the cable tops on...drain the carbs completely...

Clean them off with soap and water, than get a propane torch and heat up the carb caps all the way around for 5 to 10 seconds.

The reason i say clean them with soap and water is you don't want any stray fuel igniting.

I've NEVER had carb caps that tight, when you go to reassemble, snug them by hand only, use the L Hold down bracket to lock them.

Some dipshit overtightened them, hope he didn't strip or cross thread them all to hell...

30 pilots are too big IMO...put 27.5 in and see from there.

Did you try a simple adjustable set of pliers??

Remove the gas tank, remove the carbs and leave the cable tops on...drain the carbs completely...

Clean them off with soap and water, than get a propane torch and heat up the carb caps all the way around for 5 to 10 seconds.

The reason i say clean them with soap and water is you don't want any stray fuel igniting.

I've NEVER had carb caps that tight, when you go to reassemble, snug them by hand only, use the L Hold down bracket to lock them.

Some dipshit overtightened them, hope he didn't strip or cross thread them all to hell...

30 pilots are too big IMO...put 27.5 in and see from there.

Thanks for the advice. I thnk that I've tried every type of pliers known to man.

When you say clean them with soap and water, I assume theat you mean arond the carb caps, is that correct? I wouldn't attempt to clean inside the bellmouths right? I only ask because if I can't get them off then I'm in trouble with the water.

It's really strange, the bike was completely stock and barely ridden. I don't think they've even been off. But Jesus they are on there.

So, you think that I should go down one on the pilot? I do have the 27.5 jets, but, it idles well, and the air screw is two turns out from seat. I know there is some overlap between circuits, however, the pilot jet controls the mixture from 0 to 1/8 throttle, correct?

If DMC reccomends 300's my plugs were white with those settings. I have the exact same mods only aliens and bumped it up to 320 and it should seem good on the top end. As for the pilots IMO 30 pilots dont seem to have such a big effect idling and starting off. And for the needle if it really doesnt have any mid range then you should lower it one clip so its a little richer and go from there.

If DMC reccomends 300's my plugs were white with those settings. I have the exact same mods only aliens and bumped it up to 320 and it should seem good on the top end. As for the pilots IMO 30 pilots dont seem to have such a big effect idling and starting off. And for the needle if it really doesnt have any mid range then you should lower it one clip so its a little richer and go from there.

I finally got the carb tops off, I didn't feel comfortable trying to torch them so I borrowed a bag full of clamps and pliers from my father-in-law. Finally found a combination that worked. Right tools for the job helped considerably, but, I've never seen carb tops so tight. Needless to say, they were reassembled only hand tight.

Anyway, one inside I put the needle clip to the highest (richest) position, went one step down on the pilots to 27.5. Ran pretty well, like a raped ape up top. I still feel like I've lost some midrange though.

Also, with the 27.5 pilots, the air screw is only one turn out from seat so I might go back to 30 pilots which seemed to idle well at approximately two to two and one half turns out.

Did some runs, plugs looked good, faint light tan on the insulator and electrode after one wide open run. Rode it all day long and the insulator and electrode are a caramel color, so I think the 320 main is probably fine for this setup.

Maybe two positions on the needle clip was too much?

I'll probably try to move it down one tomorrow.

I finally got the carb tops off, I didn't feel comfortable trying to torch them so I borrowed a bag full of clamps and pliers from my father-in-law. Finally found a combination that worked. Right tools for the job helped considerably, but, I've never seen carb tops so tight. Needless to say, they were reassembled only hand tight.

Anyway, one inside I put the needle clip to the highest (richest) position, went one step down on the pilots to 27.5. Ran pretty well, like a raped ape up top. I still feel like I've lost some midrange though.

Also, with the 27.5 pilots, the air screw is only one turn out from seat so I might go back to 30 pilots which seemed to idle well at approximately two to two and one half turns out.

Did some runs, plugs looked good, faint light tan on the insulator and electrode after one wide open run. Rode it all day long and the insulator and electrode are a caramel color, so I think the 320 main is probably fine for this setup.

Maybe two positions on the needle clip was too much?

I'll probably try to move it down one tomorrow.

So your on the 5th clip from the blunted end I think that is too much. If it idles fine with 27.5 pilots then keep them but 30 pilots with the air screws 2 turns out seem just as good. Try the 4th clip because me myself might need a clip change and we have very similar mods.

So your on the 5th clip from the blunted end I think that is too much. If it idles fine with 27.5 pilots then keep them but 30 pilots with the air screws 2 turns out seem just as good. Try the 4th clip because me myself might need a clip change and we have very similar mods.

No, I'm at the first notch from the blunted end opposite the needle taper, or the highest as the needle resides in the valve. I believe I misspoke in saying this is the richest setting, it's in fact the leanest. But it seemed like an improvement from the stock position (3). Maybe I need to go the other way to get my midrange back!

No, I'm at the first notch from the blunted end opposite the needle taper, or the highest as the needle resides in the valve. I believe I misspoke in saying this is the richest setting, it's in fact the leanest. But it seemed like an improvement from the stock position (3). Maybe I need to go the other way to get my midrange back!

yeah put it in the one right above the middle i have shee with a regular air box stock piolots and DMC aliens in the thrid postion its perfect its pulls like a mo-fo i love these pipes. but still doesnt have that much low end, but mid and up top its fine.

yeah put it in the one right above the middle i have shee with a regular air box stock piolots and DMC aliens in the thrid postion its perfect its pulls like a mo-fo i love these pipes. but still doesnt have that much low end, but mid and up top its fine.

Just so that I'm clear Inferno, are you suggest that I place the clip in the fourth position when counting from the blunted end toward the taper? I believe this would be one step richer from stock position of 3.

Just so that I'm clear Inferno, are you suggest that I place the clip in the fourth position when counting from the blunted end toward the taper? I believe this would be one step richer from stock position of 3.

In his reply I think he is saying one clip down from where you are or the second clip down from the blunted end because you already tried the middle clip. Honestly if that doesnt turn out well then just try the clip on the 4th clip from the blunted end

Edited by ASRBanshee