cold starting

just finished my banshee for the upcoming race season and im having problems starting when its cold. I can push start it and it will fire and once its warm it will start on 1 kick everytime. but when its cold it will not start by me kicking it. The engine runs great, so i dont think that its the jetting but could it be the needle position or the choke is not working. Any advice would be great.

Sounds like the top end is worn... You said you just finished, but what did you do?

Check the compression...

had a fresh bore at 60 over and added the adjustable timing plate, my compression is around 175, I know that is high compared to some others but i love the low end and it is still very strong up top. One thing that i did notice is that when i pull the coke and kick it over and then check the plugs it dont seem like im getting fuel to the plugs. but when i get it started i can pull the choke and it will choke it self out. so that tells me the choke is working

Edited by flattrackin92

Motor doesn't need nearly as much fuel to start warm as cold, especially at idle/low throttle RPMs.

Just a little fuel from the choke can drown it. Did you take the carbs apart?

Is the choke tube in place, did you accidentally swap bowls?

Wait...are these stock or aftermarket carbs...?

When cold, remove both plugs...drizzle a few drips of gas into the cylinders, see if it fires up cold.

If it does...it's a pilot/airscrew and/or choke problem.

What are your air screws set at? Might be getting too much air on the idle circuit for the pilot jets you are running. When cold the bike needs more gas on the idle circuit. Try turning the air screws in a half to one full turn. Then try starting it again.

What are your air screws set at? Might be getting too much air on the idle circuit for the pilot jets you are running. When cold the bike needs more gas on the idle circuit. Try turning the air screws in a half to one full turn. Then try starting it again.

stock carbs and i have the air screws two turns out. I am going to try turning the air screws in about a full turn .

hmmm I am having the same trouble.. but I wont push start it cause I got my paddles on.. It does not seem like I am getting any fuel to the plugs at all! I took apart the carbs, cleaned them and sprayed them out with air.. When I use the compressors air attatchment and blow it through the carb, fuel comes out of the air jet and not the needle jet. Is this just a bad way to test or are my settings off? is my air screw too far out?? And what will switching the bowls do??

hmmm I think the floats are ok cause gas jeeps flowing when I open the drain screw. My air screws are out 2.25 turns. FYI.

How about the slides? Ever have the carbs off? The slides cutaway towards the air filter side. If you do not see the cutaway when you hold the throttle half open then the slides are in backwards.

check the float bowls. there are small jets in the float bowl that regulate the fuel flow to the starter circuit. when its really cold out, you have to get bigger jets to make the starter circuit(choke) work correctly. the jets in the bowl are calbrated for warmer climates. the jets are located under the brass tube that sticks into the bowl that feeds the starter circuit or choke. call "sudco" and they should be able to fix you up with the right jets for the bowl. atleast this is mostly the case for mikuni carbs. not sure about keihins? don't bother messing with the idle circuit to try and fix this problem. the engine has to start first. :thumbsup:

Edited by the grinch

i think its just normal because of the high compression but i bet you anything after you get it started it will start on the first kick. i get that everytime on my bike, its not that its tired just alot of compression.

all you can pretty much do is just choke it, and time it to give it a little throttle on the kick

Edited by _Hex*

I have the same problem with my girls shee. it will only start if i pull it, after letting the motor warm up it will start on the first kick, but leave it off for an hour or so and it wont start at all, its got 160 psi. ive checked everything under the moon and the only thing i can think of is putting a bigger size pilot in. other than that i am dumbfounded!

im in the same boat mate!

One more thing to check after your brake-in. Retorque your cylinder base nuts you be surprise how they loosen. Do it when the engine cold. You said it starts better when it's hot one kick. The metal has expanded making the motor air tight. Since you got the torque wrench out do the head. Just one more thing to check off the list.