Transmission Jumping

Tator

Hey yall I was down at Waynoka this past weekend had a good time but have a problem, when i was riding in the trails it would feel and sound like the chain is jumping teath so i checked tension it was a little loose but not bad so i snuged it up a little bit but still had the problem, it only dose it when in loose sand and you get on it like going around the turns if i'm out on the flats and dont have much load on it its fine, I'm thinking its something in the trans but i'm not real shure, realy wasn't wanting to tear down the motor but i guess i will, but as the saying gose your not having fun enless your breaking something :evil: . well any input would be helpfull, thinking 4mill crank when i tear it down more power to kill myself

Worn sprockets will cause the chain to jump teeth. If the teeth are hooked, you need to replace the sprockets, and probably the chain. If you are getting quite a bit of sand in the chain, and rear sprocket, it can also cause the chain to jump teeth. If the teeth are hooked, you can take the sprockets off, and turn them around to get by for a bit, but sprockets are pretty cheap.

Worn sprockets will cause the chain to jump teeth. If the teeth are hooked, you need to replace the sprockets, and probably the chain. If you are getting quite a bit of sand in the chain, and rear sprocket, it can also cause the chain to jump teeth. If the teeth are hooked, you can take the sprockets off, and turn them around to get by for a bit, but sprockets are pretty cheap.

^^^^^^ what he said.

^^^^^^ what he said.

sprokets are band new just put them on befor trip, new chain to come befor next trip its geting some wear on it, havent had much time to work on it been working 12's all week grrr that realy cuts into my mess around time, but lake season is comeing hope to have better luck with the boats :biggrin: hope to get some work done on the bansh this weekend thanks for the idies

TATOR

sprokets are band new just put them on befor trip, new chain to come befor next trip its geting some wear on it, havent had much time to work on it been working 12's all week grrr that realy cuts into my mess around time, but lake season is comeing hope to have better luck with the boats :biggrin: hope to get some work done on the bansh this weekend thanks for the idies

TATOR

I had the same problem back few months ago checked everything ended up tearing it down the dogs on the end of second gear were worn and letting it slip and making the noise. Mine would only do it in second. :down: good luck

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem back few months ago checked everything ended up tearing it down the dogs on the end of second gear were worn and letting it slip and making the noise. Mine would only do it in second. :down: good luck

well i know its been a while but i finaly got the paddles off and the knobies back on, rode it found out it only dose it in seccond so i guess i get to do a tear down, o well it was about time for a top end rebuild anyway, trying to save the money for the 4mil crank, got some new neibors with yfz's and i still smoked them without a good seccond gear hehe f##king 4 strokes

Well i tore the top end down today, think i found out why it was running shitty, besides 2nd gear the piston on the stator side was busted, and cracked, the bore dosnt look to bad hope .010 more of a bore will get me, well thats all the findings for now , only have the top end apart at the time, going to split the case tomarro first timmer any tips would be appricated thanks