PVL Ignition

FireHead

There you go Mark...like just about everything..

Some good, some bad... I can only go by what my fellow racers around have experienced...obviously a small part in the overall scheme of things..:)

I am thinking I am going to give it a try............... The Dyna ignition and Nology coil set up will go on the shelf until I get it run on the dyno a bit. :thumbsup:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that .85" before or after TDC? How did you arrive at that number? I have a PVL puller, so I am good there.

Can you explain mooning the flywheel and the tape thing. Are you saying that the flywheel center gets out of round? How does that happen?

i set it at tdc turning the crank the way the motor turns while bike is running[if you go pass tdc you just have to make another turn]another words you cant turn back....after the motor is on tdc than you turn the motor back to 85thousands and you end up at 15thousand

thats what lynn at lcperformance told me to run, and thats what we all run[all my friends]out here.

on the gaping of the moons you are going to need a star screw driver or if you got a star socket that would work much better...they should alredy be gaped properly tho......unless one cylinder is missing or something than you should try to gap the pvl moon a little closer.........also ground straps are a must....good luck........i love the way my pvl works so i'am sure youre going to like yours .......

i set it at tdc turning the crank the way the motor turns while bike is running[if you go pass tdc you just have to make another turn]another words you cant turn back....after the motor is on tdc than you turn the motor back to 85thousands and you end up at 15thousand

thats what lynn at lcperformance told me to run, and thats what we all run[all my friends]out here.

on the gaping of the moons you are going to need a star screw driver or if you got a star socket that would work much better...they should alredy be gaped properly tho......unless one cylinder is missing or something than you should try to gap the pvl moon a little closer.........also ground straps are a must....good luck........i love the way my pvl works so i'am sure youre going to like yours .......

Where do you put the ground straps at?

To clarify: If you are facing the stator side of the engine, to set the timing, you roll the engine to TDC, then roll it cloackwise .085" on the dial indicator and attempt to lock the PVL and flywheel down?

Thatnks for all the help, that is exactly what I have been looking for out of this thread! :geek:

Where do you put the ground straps at?

You connect them to your head. My buddy has his going from the coil to one of his head studs. He has a ground strap for both coils. One to one side and one to the other.

ok...after i tight down the moons and the motor is on tdc you roll back[clock wise to 85thousands]than what i do is aling the flywheel line to the pvl moon that the dial indicator is on[everything has to be align at this point flywheel lines to the moon lines]...i usally start/set the dial indicator on the left cylinder[note you have to tap the flywheel with a deep socket before torquing it.... otherewise the flywheel will tun with the locking nut]than double check everything by putting the motor on tdc and going back 85thousands making sure all lines are aling[pvl moon lines to flywheel lines]................i check both cylinders.......good luck if you got any questions let me know ill be more that happy to help on what ever i can......

You connect them to your head. My buddy has his going from the coil to one of his head studs. He has a ground strap for both coils. One to one side and one to the other.

My coils seem to have straps that ground them to the frame. Should I extend them to my head?

ok...after i tight down the moons and the motor is on tdc you roll back[clock wise to 85thousands]than what i do is aling the flywheel line to the pvl moon that the dial indicator is on[everything has to be align at this point flywheel lines to the moon lines]...i usally start/set the dial indicator on the left cylinder[note you have to tap the flywheel with a deep socket before torquing it.... otherewise the flywheel will tun with the locking nut]than double check everything by putting the motor on tdc and going back 85thousands making sure all lines are aling[pvl moon lines to flywheel lines]................i check both cylinders.......good luck if you got any questions let me know ill be more that happy to help on what ever i can......

When I get the cylinder to the .085 mark, where on the unductor (moons) do I line the flywheel mark up to? :geek:

When I get the cylinder to the .085 mark, where on the unductor (moons) do I line the flywheel mark up to? :geek:

when you get your flywheel to 85 thous you losen the 3 bolts and line up the mark on the other part (sorry forget what its called) then tightin the bolts back up. Then you should be at 85 thous

Edited by banshee332

if you got the dial indicator in the left cylinder than you use that moon to line it up with the flywheel line.......also if you can ground the your ground straps to your frame that should work as well, the only reason i put the ground straps to the head is cuz i dont want to drill holes or grind paint off my frame just to ground it......i hope that helps you........ :banghead:

if you got the dial indicator in the left cylinder than you use that moon to line it up with the flywheel line.......also if you can ground the your ground straps to your frame that should work as well, the only reason i put the ground straps to the head is cuz i dont want to drill holes or grind paint off my frame just to ground it......i hope that helps you........ :banghead:

I have mounts built into my frame for the coils and the bottom of my engine is rigidly bolted to the frame, so I suspect what I have set up for ground straps will be fine.

As for linign up the flywheel, is there a mark on the moon somewhere or am I missing something obvious? :geek: