Octane question

spike

My bike is setup to run on 100 octane fuel. is there any way to tell how much octane I have in my pump gas / race gas mix? up here getting race fuel is not the most simple task... you get what you can from different contact. I just found a place to get VP C-16 I'd like to find out whats the ratio I should use to achieve the 100 mark. C-16is 117 motor Octane thats almost 10 point more that regular 110! there's no way I have to mix it 50/50 to achieve my needs! There is got to be a formula where you can calculate octane ratings of fuels mix.

no its not oxygenated, the guy i can get it from runs it in snowmobiles... pure. fuck these sleds must work if they 117 motor octane! he told me he was running between 8-10* of timing. and I would assume he's well over 200 in the compression to justify running that much octane. anyway back to topic.

somebody must have a formula to get the right octane rating. Firehead? :whistling:

sounds like he runs a pro-stock sled.i think they are getting about 225hp out of an 800cc engine these days.i haven't realy kept up with it since i got out of sled racing a while back. some of the arctic cat dealerships were selling fuel this year. try the "cat shack" in elmsdale. i got a can of 110 from Stone's AC in new glasgow. also there a place in Dieppe, NB that sells VP fuels called G.Bourque.(www.gbourque.com) 506-383-4585

I'm on drugs so If this doesn't make sense, that's why!!

It is just a ratio. To figure out how to arrive at 100, I'd have to know what your pump octane is.

As an example...In California pump premium is 91. So if you mixed 2 Gs of 91 and add 1G of 117...

91+91+117=299 299 divided by 3 =99.66666 octane.

Pretty close to the 100 number you are looking for.

Even pump premium at 94 would net you an end result of 101.6 octane.

Close enough for government work!!

This post caught my attention since my chemistry class just barely touched on it recently. Do a search on octane boosters and check out Wikapedia. There is a few people out there mixing chemicals like tolulene and pump gas at ratios and calculating the octane like jayzx750 did for performance gains. Be careful, Wikapedia explained very well why having higher octane may not produce as much power and how octane is figured differently by area and use.

Edited by Lepew

I'm on drugs so If this doesn't make sense, that's why!!

It is just a ratio. To figure out how to arrive at 100, I'd have to know what your pump octane is.

As an example...In California pump premium is 91. So if you mixed 2 Gs of 91 and add 1G of 117...

91+91+117=299 299 divided by 3 =99.66666 octane.

Pretty close to the 100 number you are looking for.

Even pump premium at 94 would net you an end result of 101.6 octane.

Close enough for government work!!

That is about as good as you are going to get at home.

Octane is advertised as a number derived by the following equation: (research octane+motor octane)/2 . The research number is a basic chemistry equation while the motor octane number is something that is measured in a special lab engine. Nether of these things are something that the general public is going to be capapble of dealing with at home. :geek: